Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jakedvdsn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2015, 11:34 PM
    Dog door in a french door
    I just moved into a new house that has single pane glass french doors that access the backyard but I want to have a dog door for my dog and am lost for what my remaining options are. I can't install the door into glass and there isn't any space in the wall wide enough (the studs are very close together because it is a short wall) to install one in the exterior wall.
    The only thing I can think of is if I could buy a different door for the stationary side of the french doors that has no glass then put a dog door inside of that, but I have no idea if they even sell french doors with no glass.
    Any input or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 24, 2015, 04:14 AM
    On the non moving side, have it modified the glass cut on the bottom to the height of the dog door. Then a frame (support) put in and a custom dog door installed.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 24, 2015, 04:35 AM
    What is the exact width of the spaces on either side of the door, measured from the edge of the door itself, not the trim? It would be cheaper (and better looking) to cut into studs.
    Also, what width dog door do you need?
    Another idea would be access through another outside wall that has no door. Build a tiny set of steps just for the dog. Even cheaper and easier.
    I imagine that the glass in the French doors is double pane. Modifying that would be cost prohibitive. Putting in a solid wood pane would look awful.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2015, 10:30 AM
    Have a door company remove one side, remove the glass, install an access panel and then install new glass. It must be tempered so you can't cut the old door glass. Unless this is an older home, it will also need to be thermopane and possibly LOW-E. Is there now other wall area where a pet door can be installed?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Maytag French Door refrigerator is freezing items in the door. [ 1 Answers ]

Recently my Maytag French Door refrigerator started freezing the liquid items in the door. The door has an opening that allows cold to colder air to circulated up from the freezer by way of an adjustable vent. I looked through the owners manual and determined that maybe the coils on the bottom of...

The touch switches in the door front of our french door refrigerator have stopped wor [ 1 Answers ]

The touch switches in gthe door of our Maytag french door refrigerator have stopped working, specifically, the ones that select water or ice will not change regardless how hard or long I press on them. Now, in order to get ice I have to open both french doors and pull out the ice tray far enough...

How do I replace french door threshold? [ 1 Answers ]

I need to replace my threshold for my exterior french doors. Both sides open up (although one side is always stationary unless you unlock it. How do I remove the old threshold in order to replace with new one? How do you cut the new threshold if it's too long?

Replace jam french door [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to replace a section of jam on a french door that was made by peace door - - there are plugs in the jam when you take the plug out the is like a screw or something -- looks like the end of a allan wrench how do these work and how do you get in the hole to trun it - - I tried deep well...

French Door? [ 2 Answers ]

Please explain those charateristics of a doors design/construction which defines it as a "French Door". Thanks!! :)

View more questions Search