Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jaynina Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2015, 05:21 AM
    Castor oil
    Yesterday at 2pm I drank half a bottle of 150ml castor oil to speed up labour. Nothing happened until about 9:30pm just lots of trips to toilet and then at about 1am mild contractions started. I've been getting them anyway and the contractions hurt more than before but still weren't strong enough to go to hospital. Since then I haven't really had any change except the diorhhea stopped. So I've just finished the rest of bottle about an hour ago. Has anyone else tried castor oil and if so did it work and how long did it take? Thankyoubxx
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 20, 2015, 06:15 AM
    Why do you think taking a laxative will induce labor?
    Talk to your OBGYN.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 20, 2015, 07:13 AM
    I'm sorry you fell for this old wives tale. You will go into labor when your body produces enough oxytocin. There are more natural ways for this to happen, such as nipple stimulation, foot massages, or intercourse. However, if your body isn't ready for labor, nothing will happen.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Aug 20, 2015, 07:15 AM
    The general idea is that by stimulating the bowels it will also cause labour. It is an old remedy, but it hasn't really been scientifically studied so there isn't an absolute link between castor oil and labour. My midwife gave us a natural cocktail that was supposed to induce, but it didn't work. One of the ingredients was castor oil.

I wouldn't expect it to work, but if it does great. If it doesn't at least you're flushed through.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 20, 2015, 10:54 AM
    When I was a child my parents had two home remedies. One was Yager's liniment, the other was castor oil.

Yager's liniment was for sore or aching muscles. Actual, I think it was a horse liniment. It was not for an open wound but it would certainly kill any infection. It burned like hell and would really make you dance a jig. If I borrowed my daddy's pocket knife and cut my finger, I didn't tell him. I put my hand in my pocket and gave him his knife back. Didn't come crying because of a scraped knee, either.

If you said you didn't feel good, you got 3 tablespoons of castor oil. Tasted like crap. Never missed a day of school, or got out of any chores, because illness. Never went in to labor either.

At 17, I burned my hand rather severely. That was the first time I ever went to a doctor.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2015, 03:31 PM
    Has your due date come and gone?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Castor oil ? [ 1 Answers ]

Do I have to use 100% food grade for castor oil patches?

Can I give castor oil to my kitten [ 1 Answers ]

Can I give castor oil to my kitten to cleanse her system?

How bad is it to drink castor oil [ 2 Answers ]

How bad is it to drink castor oil to induce labor at 40 weeks

View more questions Search