Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kwschatz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2015, 12:29 PM
    How can you insulate a roof that is beams, a layer of plywood and corrugated tin?
    We have a roof built of 4" x 6" beam at about a 3/12 pitch, on 36" centers. Those are covered by a layer of 3/4" plywood which is covered with corrugated metal. I would like to add insulation on the under side. Either tack Styrofoam board to the underside of the plywood, then cover with bead board (or very narrow space T111). My other thought is to put wood slats across the face of the beams, place Styrofoam insulation above those, then cover underside with bead board, (paneling, T111, etc.)

The first solution would have no air flow, the second would have an air gap (of 5" or more) but no real flow.

The house is located on the island of St. Croix (USVI), so the lowest temperature is 60+, meaning there will be no real issue of condensation.

The intent is to stop the heat radiating down.

Thank you.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 18, 2015, 01:28 PM
    Can you add a ridge vent?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The beams,from the bottom of the roof are cracking from water [ 1 Answers ]

The roof is collapseing how do I fix the beams

My roof has a layer of ice building on the inside of the roof,I'm wondering why? [ 3 Answers ]

Weeks.would love to here if this has happin to anyone.. I am new to this fourm...

Tin roof insulation [ 1 Answers ]

We have a screened deck with a tin roof, Is there any way of insulating it to cut down on the heat. It is a large 4x13m area and it has 3 narrow skylight sections in it. It receives morning sun so heats up early

Insulate ceiling or roof [ 3 Answers ]

What is the best way to Prevent condensation forming on the underside of the roofing material? This is an on-going problem for me since living in a townhouse built in 1985. We have cathedral ceiling and a very large void space/attic. In the winter we can see the ice form underneath the roofing...

Best way to insulate vaulted roof [ 6 Answers ]

We currently live in a modular home that was built in 1989. The middle of the house has vaulted ceilings, the two ends of the home, where the bedrooms are, have regular ceilings. There is only attic space access on one end of the house. I was wondering what would be the best way to install extra...

View more questions Search