Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NorPlan Posts: 425, Reputation: 3

Aug 18, 2015, 08:22 AM
    How To Find / Connect To Local TV Channels?
    Unfortunately I'm Not Tech Savy and Not Everyone follows the same game plan in this Household.. lol.. The Plan is trying to figure out How to Switch To / Click On to a Local TV Channel? The Cable Channels were Disconnected a few months back.. We have Apple TV & Netflix.. Looking to Click Onto a Local TV Station without having to Go through a Cable TV provider if that's possible?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2015, 11:30 AM
    You need an antenna on your TV.

What will work or not depends on where you live in relation to the bulk of the transmitters in your area. Some people in the city might get away with a small set top antenna, others in rural areas might need a deep fringe Antenna with a rotator to change direction, which can easily run $200 or more for both plus installation. Most people fall somewhere between those two extremes.

And no those $30 pieces of junk that claim 150 mile range... aren't even worth $5.

Then you have to set your TV to autotune channels from AIR source... not cable.

Aug 18, 2015, 12:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Then you have to set your TV to autotune channels from AIR source... not cable.
    The Cable TV came via Satellite (Rural) Everything else ie: Home Phone , Internet is WiFi...
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2015, 12:08 PM
    SO you live in the sticks... to get over the air TV... you WILL need an outside antenna.

I hate posting links... because there is usually someone getting free advertizing.

TV Antenna Selection Guide

But if you type in the info, they can tell you how far and what directions the transmitters are from where you live. From that you can determine how big an antenna you need and where it needs pointed... and if you really need a rotator or not.

There are other manufacturers that make these products...not just the one that provides the linked site. But they are one of the better ones.

Aug 18, 2015, 12:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    SO you live in the sticks... to get over the air TV... you WILL need an outside antenna.

I hate posting links... because there is usually someone getting free advertizing.

TV Antenna Selection Guide

But if you type in the info, they can tell you how far and what directions the transmitters are. From that you can determine how big an antenna you need and where it needs pointed... and if you really need a rotator or not.

There are other manufacturers that make these products...not just the one that provides the linked site. But they are one of the better ones.

Thanks.... btw.. Nearest Transmission Tower(s) are 3 KM's as the Crow Flies.. But Line of Site (Down the Toilet) Bush all around..lol..
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2015, 12:13 PM
    Plus side is a quality antenna can last up to 20 or 30 years. Its not something you need to frequently replace.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2015, 07:17 AM
    Antenna Web, and Antenna Fool. Were good tools to locate Stations and their Directions.
    Things that help for a strong signal are Height, Good Antenna(Determine if you need UHF, VHF or Both), A Preamp to match(UHF/VHF), Good Coax.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2015, 07:24 AM
    Looks Like it is called TV Fool Now.[SIZE=3]http://antennaweb.org/default.aspx[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE][SIZE=3]http://www.tvfool.com/[/SIZE]

The PreAmp amplifies Signal from antenna, The Power supply inside house sends voltage up the Coax to preamp, Then sends amplified signal back down on same coax

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ethernet - Local Area Connection cannot connect. [ 5 Answers ]

Hi guys, Im losing my mind with this computer! My internet from is working fine, but my Ethernet cannot get a connection. On my ethernet Local Area Connection it says status is: Limited or no connectivity. I have read on the net that you can release and renew in start> run, but nothing happens,...

How do I connect a PC to two local area networks at the same time? [ 1 Answers ]

I want to connect a computer to two separate networks. The user needs to connect to different networks to access info. Both networks are local. What is the best way two network cards a switch two separate windows on the PC. What is the best means to solve this problem?

I brought my Dish receiver to Canada but can't get local channels [ 5 Answers ]

I pay for my Dish Network service in Florida as I am there for the winter and brought it home to Canada. I had it hooked up to a Bell Satellite and I get all the Dish programs but no local channels. How can I get local channels in Canada?

My local area connection will not connect to my xbox [ 1 Answers ]

My computer is sending packets to my xbox360 but it is not receiving any from it my ip address is being obtained automaticaly and I think that is the problem I had an ip address until last night when I changed it to obtain it by itself because I was told to do so by a friend (long story trying to...

How do you find the local maximun and local minium of a graph? [ 1 Answers ]

How do u find the local maximun and local minium of a graph?

View more questions Search