Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    power2him Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2007, 11:27 AM
    Trying to get custody of younger sibling.
    Ok my question is I am 19 years old almost 20 and I have to baby sister one which is now in foster care I was in the system my whole life and I hated it I want my youngest sister to have a lot better life than what I did and now I need some help trying to figure out how to get her she lives in Missouri and I live in md because I am married also to a man in the navy. I just want you to all know that anything you could do would be greatly appreciated thanks.
    ashleigh1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2007, 08:23 PM
    Hey I was looking for information on the same thing but I am in canada. My sister is 9 though and in foster care, I am 22, my mother is a dead beat and her father just entered her life this summer and is going for full coustody. I want to know if you found any information on anything at all? Could you e mail me if you did? [email protected]
    Thanks ashley
    vlee Posts: 454, Reputation: 109

Apr 23, 2007, 06:39 AM
    I suggest hiring a lawyer and suing the state for custody. At least consult with a lawyer. Does the foster care system know you are interested in caring for your sister? Do you have a job? Do you have a bedroom for her? What school will she attend? Can you afford to care for her? Does your husband support this decision? These are some of the questions you will need the answers to before you proceed.
    ashleigh1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2007, 09:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by vlee
    I suggest hiring a lawyer and suing the state for custody. At least consult with a lawyer. Does the foster care system know you are interested in caring for your sister? Do you have a job? Do you have a bedroom for her? What school will she attend? Can you afford to care for her? Does your husband support this decision? These are some of the questions you will need the answers to before you proceed.
    I have submitted a plan of care they are FULLY aware that I want to take custody of her. But the way they see it is he is the bio father and even though he drinks everyday and has never met her until this summer he still deserves a chance. I believe he does too, from a distance. I am fully financially stable to take care of her. She shares a room when she visits here every 3rd weekend with my husbands 8 year old sister. There is a local school I will have her enrolled in, and mt husband is grateful to do this. I have submitted my plan of care, and they know my wishes. But again they think it is better to let her father take care of her. I do not think he should have full custody yet, just visitation rights.
    Ashley
    vlee Posts: 454, Reputation: 109

Apr 24, 2007, 05:38 AM
    Have you spoken to an attorney? How old is your sis? Is she 10 or over? (Typically judges won't hear from a child less than 10 in the US). The older she is the more say she will have in who gets her. What does she want? Can you ask for shared custody? Is the bio dad close to you? Most likely you will not get her if the dad is willing to take her. Have you talked directly to him? He may not want to care for a child. Perhaps he'd be willing to give up custody to you.
    mommy22boys Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2011, 07:10 PM
    I am 18 years old. I have a baby sister who will be turning eleven in April. Our dad is very unfit and my mother is not capable of taking care of her in any form. She came to me on thanksgiving and broke down crying begging my husband and I to get her away from there. My heart truly aches for her because I know EXACTLY what she is going through. My dad has sole custody so I came to him with the issue. He totally avoided my question. I want the best for that little girl. And I need to know how to go about getting custody so I can give her the life she deserves..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sibling abuse [ 7 Answers ]

I need to help my brothers and sisters but I don't know what steps to take. My siblings are being raised in an abusive home where they are denied their most basic needs (love, food, education etc.) the problem is there are six of them and I do not want them separated, I am ready and willing to...

I'm younger than the person I like [ 4 Answers ]

I have a huge crush on a person who's going into high school and ill be staying in middleschool also she's my friends sister and I'm lesbian so I have zero chance what should I do:confused:

Sibling excluded [ 1 Answers ]

My uncle asked me to be the exector of his estate. As per his wishes, his sister will not get anything from his estate. Does she have any legal way of trying to get any of the estate?

Younger [ 6 Answers ]

When I was younger there was a movie that I watched over and over again, my parents do not remember the name. The cover had a pink boreder of some kind, it had a little girl and her brother that jumped through a mirror, the people were real. The movie was kind of scary, but things animals or...

Splitting sibling [ 5 Answers ]

can the court split 2 kids up when both of them are in state custody cause of the mother but the kids have different father only one child knows her father but the other child doesn't have a father at all cause the mother want tell the state who he is... 5 yr old girl... 1 yr old boy.

View more questions Search