Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    045683000 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2015, 05:50 PM
    Why does a tornado suck the water out of the toilet?
    Could a close by tornado suck the water out of a toilet?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 17, 2015, 05:52 PM
    Yes, if it passes over a sewer main near your home. More so if it strikes your house.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 19, 2015, 04:56 PM
    As presented at www.thevane.gawker.com

One of the big stories that goes around in tornado country is that tornadoes can suck the water right out of your toilet. It's true. A storm chaser riding out the hurricane in Bermuda noticed that the storm sucked the water out of his toilet, too. Here's how that works.

Hurricane Gonzalo Makes Rare Landfall in Bermuda [Updated] Hurricane Gonzalo Makes Rare Landfall in Bermuda [Updated] Hurricane Gonzalo Makes Rare Landfall in Bermuda [

Hurricane Gonzalo made landfall on the south-central coast of Bermuda at 8:30 PM EDT with winds of…Read more Read more

Mark Sudduth, whose handle is @hurricanetrack on Twitter, posted a video of the gurgly toilet in his hotel room to Instagram on Friday night during some of the worst winds in Hurricane Gonzalo as it passed over the island.
    Even though our toilets flush into pipes that lead underground, they're still affected by weather conditions outside. All buildings with indoor plumbing are required to have a vent in the roof of the building. These vents are there for two reasons: 1) it allows gasses to vent outside as opposed to into the building, and 2) the open vent helps water and sewage flow through the pipes.

Just like a chimney or a leaky window, these vents are susceptible to windy days.

When a strong gust of wind blows over the top of these vents, the fast-moving air creates an area of low pressure at the top of the pipe. This low pressure causes the air within the pipe to rush up to fill the void (nature abhors a vacuum), creating suction within the building's pipes. If the sucking is strong enough, it can briefly tug on the water in the toilet. The water sloshes back up once the wind gust resides. Exceptionally strong gusts of wind, such as those seen in hurricanes or tornadoes, make this effect especially pronounced.
    You can even see water subtly sloshing around on a regular ol' blustery day. It's a pretty cool effect, for as much as what goes on in a toilet can be considered "cool," anyway.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water coming up in toilet when toilet flushed or running water in sink, how to fix? [ 1 Answers ]

When I flush the toilet, take showers in my upstairs bathroom, water comes out of my downstairs shower. How can I fix this problem without calling a professional plumber?

Toilet won't suck the water down in the bowl [ 8 Answers ]

I installed new guts for my toilet. The toilet will not suck the water down in the bowl. All it does is fill up with water then slowly drain. Do I need a new toilet. Fyi. Before I installed the new guts the toilet would take a long long time to flush and suck the water down, maybe 15 seconds or...

Can vent suck all the water from S trap? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm installing a new shower in a cottage bathroom. THere was no previous shower. I plan to use the same vent that I use for the toilet and sink. The shower is around 10 feet from the vent; the toilet and sink are between the shower and vent. Is it possible for the vent to suck all the water out...

How do you get water from a shallow well when pump will not suck water. [ 3 Answers ]

I have sunk a shallow well, (it does have water). I purchased a new pump. The pump does not suck water. I have primed the pump several times it does not want to suck water from the well. What do I need to do to obtain water.

Toilet does not suck after flush [ 4 Answers ]

After flush the water goes down to the drain pretty good, then at the end stops and does not suck the air, as it usually works. Any ideas? I tried to use half-tank - same result. I tried to pour out the whole bucket of water at a time - goes down good, but doesn't suck. I would appreciate any...

View more questions Search