Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CindySolomon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2015, 08:42 PM
    Fix air switch - garbage disposal won't turn off
    When Counter top button switch pushed to turn on (insinkerator) garbage disposal won't stop spinning
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2015, 11:15 PM
    You need to check to see if it is wired with a relay or if the switch controls the power to the disposal. If the switch controls a relay then the relay contacts could be welded together which keeps it running. If there is no relay then simply replace the switch. You should check it all with a meter, first, however. Never do any electrical work without using a meter to see what is happening in the circuit; to do so is foolhardy. Check the switch to see if the contacts are stuck (after turning off power and checking with the meter set to "volts.") and if so, you know you need a new switch; if not, you need a relay wherever it is.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GFCI with switch not working for garbage disposal [ 4 Answers ]

Why... when I replaced a regular outlet with a gfci and the switch won't shut off the garbage disposal? The outlet is at the end of the circuit with a red, black and a white wire. I can get power to it but won't shut off. It worked with the regular outlet.

Garbage disposal is leaking. What can I do to fix it myself? [ 2 Answers ]

It's jammed and leaking water but not sure from what spot. I THINK there may be a penny stuck in there somewhere, but I cannot see one. I have NO CLUE where to start. Any help would be appreciated!

Garbage disposal doesn't turn on, just hums, although flywheel is not stuck [ 8 Answers ]

It is one day before a party I'm throwing and my garbage disposal won't turn on. There is a humming sound. The reset button has been reset and the allen wrench does move the flywheel freely indicating the flywheel isn't stuck. Help!

How do I fix a garbage disposal? [ 2 Answers ]

Does anybody know how to fix a garbage disposal? It's making a very low wurring sound even after I tried resetting it. Please advise. Thanks.

Garbage disposal switch with no ground [ 1 Answers ]

I'm replacing the switch for my garbage disposal. It has a red wire on the left and a black wire on the right. I'm replacing it with a switch interrupter that has both screws on one side and a ground on the other. Which wire goes on the top screw and what do I do about a ground? Thanks!

View more questions Search