Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Taylormade305 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2015, 11:29 AM
    Chihuahua pees all day
    My little Tyson pees constantly, he is approximately 8 weeks old and weighs 1.5 pounds. We have head him about 1 week and he has been checked out with a Vet that says he is fine, but he didn't start peeing a lot until the doctor gave me soft food and vitamins for his to take. What should I do>
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 14, 2015, 12:25 PM
    Try taking him off the vitamins. How is it you have a dog so young. He should not be away from his mother yet. Was he weaned properly ? He is so young that there is no sense trying to train him yet. Do you have doggy pads for him ?

More information about the little fellow would be appreciated so our dog experts can help you with recommendations so we can all help him !
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2015, 04:53 PM
    A 1.5lb puppy has a bladder the size of a dime. How about more frequent potty breaks. Monitor water intake. Maybe the puppy is drinking too much water. Never deny a puppy water, but limit how much water is drank each time, maybe smaller amounts.

Potty training is more than just mental training, it's also training the muscles of the bladder to become stronger. Smaller dogs need to go out a lot more than medium or large dogs.

And 7/8wks is a good age that this puppy left mom. It should be more than weaned at this point... besides, being weaned properly wouldn't cause the dog to pee more.

Also, are you feeding canned food or softened food? If yes, than that is adding liquid to the diet causing the dog to have to pee more often. Tiny breeds still have teeth, they can chew hard food.

Worse case scenario, the dog might have a UTI. If the dog is a female, they are more prone to UTIs than males. So if monitoring water intake, decreasing softened/canned food from diet and adding a strict (for you more so than the pup) potty schedule, I'd recommend the puppy be screened for bladder infection. Bladder infection can cause dogs and puppies to have to urinate often. Typically, it is very small amounts of urine, possibly drops, all the time.

Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why is our 10 yr old female chihuahua urinating in the house once a day [ 2 Answers ]

Our 10 year old female chihuahua is completely housebroken, but the last 3 days she has urinated 1 time each day in the other room. She goes to the vet once a year for her checkup & shots but is not quite due yet. Her normal routine when needing to go outside is to get down from her pillow on the...

My chihuahua is showing signs of labor her temp 98.3 4 3 day [ 5 Answers ]

She is very lethargic licking her paws and not really wanting to move her puppies are moving around more than ever is she in labor

My 8 month chihuahua mated with my 10 month old chihuahua could she get pregnant? [ 5 Answers ]

She was on day 13 of her heat and they tied for 15-20 minutes. He is 10 months old and she is 8 months old. This was 3 weeks ago now and her nipples have been swollen at the base for almost 2 weeks now. Her tummy doesn't feel much different. Can a 10 month old dog produce quality sperm to...

She pees (still) [ 8 Answers ]

So I've had no luck training my chihuahua to use the pee pads. She was doing good for a while, and now all my work has seem to be undone. Can someone please help me? I'm not home that much, enough, but not that much. She goes for walks and such. How can I get her re-trained? She's...

View more questions Search