Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    catgroomer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2015, 08:45 AM
    Fair treatment in pay
    My department at work had an increase in the wage cap. The guy that has been there for a shorter time than I got an increase in pay from 11 dollars an hour, to $15.30. However, I received nothing. I had "capped out" 2 years ago, and my only increases have been cost of living - about 2% per year. I am now at $16.30/hour. I feel this is not fair treatment. I don't necessarily think I need a 3$ increase, but I do think I deserve something... am I getting screwed?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 14, 2015, 09:10 AM
    You still make more than he does so how is that getting screwed? The answer is NO, you are not.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 14, 2015, 09:13 AM
    You're making $1 more than the person with less experience, so off hand I see no basis for complaint assuming you perform the same duties and have the same responsibilities. Are you more productive?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2015, 09:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by catgroomer View Post
    My department at work had an increase in the wage cap. The guy that has been there for a shorter time than I got an increase in pay from 11 dollars an hour, to $15.30. However, I received nothing. I had "capped out" 2 years ago, and my only increases have been cost of living - about 2% per year. I am now at $16.30/hour. I feel this is not fair treatment. I don't necessarily think I need a 3$ increase, but I do think I deserve something... am I getting screwed?
    Gee.. life isn't fair and no you aren't ENTITLED to a pay raise... unless you are in a union and its negotiated in writing. Otherwise be happy you get one. And no they don't have to give everyone equal raises ( and very rarely ever will)... they can give whomever they want a great raise and give others none at all.

Time you forget "Fair Treatment in pay".. because it's a fantasy. You get what you can negotiate and if its not enough you find a different employer that IS willing to give it to you. That's how the real world works.

WHat they offer in pay is based on experience....not time in that company...most of my later jobs I've come into being paid more than some of the other people there before me...its because I have a demonstrated experience and greater knowledge than they have, and negotiated a better pay deal. I quit my first job out of College because they weren't giving me the raises I felt I deserved and that I knew people getting more but couldn't do what I did....because they had a more generous boss. Best move I ever made....should have left years sooner. They lost and I gained. My next job paid more than I even felt the last place should have been paying me.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2015, 09:45 AM
    Hello groomer:

Your company CAPPED the pay, and they can UNCAP it. If you want more, go negotiate..

excon
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 14, 2015, 10:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello groomer:

Your company CAPPED the pay, and they can UNCAP it. If you want more, go negotiate..

excon
    I totally agree !
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 14, 2015, 08:40 PM
    No, you are not getting screwed. This is actually part of what the government (American) is asking for, when they want the MIN Wage raised.

We saw many examples of how companies raised min wage, and long time employees felt like you did. They were not happy for the lower paid people, just felt sorry for themselves.

This is how increases in MIN Wage work. No they do not, and normally do not raise other wages.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fair treatment at work? [ 2 Answers ]

Ive been working at a company for almost 8 years now. There are some changes going on currently as far as management trying to move people around and make things better. I was offered a supervisory position last week. They shook my hand, told me I was the right man for the job and it was mine. We...

What would be a fair price to pay for a business [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am a cashier at a liquor store in Los Angeles area, the store owner is thinking of selling the store, I want to make him an offer but have no idea how much, would appreciate any help. I have an estimate of the financials for the past 3 years (2010-2013) from the seller. The total...

Problems with Fair and White Gel Cream Strong Bleaching Treatment [ 0 Answers ]

I've been using the Fair and White Gel Crème for about 4 days now on my underarm. And I although I don't expect to have results this soon after using, I didn't expect my underarm to be darker! MUCH much darker! I exfoliate every morning and night before I use the product. Has this happened to...

Fair and White powder C treatment? [ 3 Answers ]

Guys... Has anyone of you used this Fair and White Exclusive Powder C treatment before? What results did you get? Please share...

Fair treatment at work [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know if it is necessary for a back to work interview if your off work with a painful migraine now and then when the work knew you suffered with them at the time of taking you on in their employment.

View more questions Search