Ask
    Rajasekar91 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2015, 01:30 AM
    How to stop arranged marriage after engagement
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 13, 2015, 06:52 AM
    It would depend on what role you play in this. You haven't given us enough info to form a proper response.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Aug 13, 2015, 06:53 AM
    Any agreement can be broken if you talk to the people who brokered the agreement. The vital question is what you want the outcome to be. Do you want to be able to talk to everyone after the fact, still be in polite company? Do you care if you burn all your bridges? You can just leave. It takes two people to get married and if one is missing, all the other can do is stand awkwardly at the alter.

What do you want? Why do you want to break off the arranged marriage?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2015, 08:06 AM
    Easiest is not show up at the wedding if nothing else has worked... a wedding usually requires both people to be there.

But as was mentioned... I doubt you are living on your own able to support yourself... and actions have consequences. Also as was asked... the real question is WHY? I think most people at some point get cold feet at some point... even briefly.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 13, 2015, 05:50 PM
    In an arranged marriage, the family of the women and family of the man make a agreement. Depending on the culture, there will penalties often to be paid if there is a breach of promise. Also honor is often considered loss by the family of the party breaking the agreement.

In some culture the man can break the agreement more easily than the women.

But assuming you are the bride or groom, you just refuse.

Then depending on where you live, it will depend.
    Your family may be angry, they may kick you out of the house. In some places your family may even try to kill you. (yes it really happens)
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Aug 15, 2015, 08:37 AM
    Chuck is right. Just as the engagement was brokered, so too can the end of the engagement be negotiated.

But, there will be consequences. As everything has been arranged by the respective parties, your future was decided for you.

If it is possible for you to see a lawyer, or perhaps a university counselor, or someone familiar with this marriage practice, that pertains to where you are.

I wish you all the very best of luck.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 15, 2015, 08:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajasekar91 View Post
    Go to the ones that arranged it,or the other party of this arrangement.

Consult a local leader of your culture or religion.

Whatever you choose to do, their will/may be consequences for your actions that you should weigh carefully before choosing a path forward.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to stop marriage after engagement? [ 2 Answers ]

How to stop marriage after engagement?

How can a girl stop an indian marriage after engagement? [ 2 Answers ]

I am engaged. My marriage is in a month, but v don't get along well. I told my parents they r not ready to listin. I told him I am not interested, he is okay with it and wanted to get married for his parents sake. I dono how to stop the marriage. Can anybody help?

How to stop marriage after engagement? [ 29 Answers ]

Hi, I’m just 20 years old, completed BBA. There are only 21 days for my marriage but my fiancé is not talking well to me. I said to my mom last month I don’t want this marriage. So my dad talked to him and asked him to my home to speak with me. He spoke nice, but I didn't like that. After that...

Will be mine love marriage or arranged marriage [ 4 Answers ]

My name is divya maan Born on 30th July 1990 at 4:25 am I am in love with a boy named rahul sharma and he also loves me a lot We love each other deeply But we are not of same caste so our parents have problem with our relationship I want to know will we be able to get married

View more questions Search