Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    singlemom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2007, 10:46 AM
    Winning rights
    I have a two month old son and when I first found out that I was pregnant I was no longer with the father he told me to get an abortion but I didn't I decided to continue on my own with my pregancy he would call me but to insult me he was mad that I didn't get an abortion. He wasn't there with I had the baby he is not on the birth certificate now that he is born he wants to come around and says he is going to take me to court Im scared because I don't want him to get any rights what are the chances of me winning?
    louie1 Posts: 183, Reputation: 49

Apr 14, 2007, 12:27 PM
    Unless you can prove he is unfit then you will probably have to give him visitation rights
    1badchoice Posts: 227, Reputation: 45

Apr 14, 2007, 12:49 PM
    To gain rights he would have to take you to court. If he had money, decided to go this route it would come into court's awareness of how much visitation you have allowed, etc. My girlfriend went through this... man never to her to court. He has never been involved with the child/paid support. Child is now 12. It may not be fair but father's not married to the mother have to prove he is the father and take you to court to get rights. Just like the Anna Nicole Smith case. To protect your rights you could go to child support enforcement to have paternity established as well as support amount set. This would set up typical visitation. Don't worry... with an infant he is unlikely to get overnight visits (especially if your nursing the baby). I would suggest calling a family attorney (many offer free consultations). He would be best suited to advice you on state laws about your sitution. Good luck. Cathy
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 14, 2007, 04:08 PM
    He will have to take you to court, if he is not listed on the birth certificate and you don't just agree he is the father, he will also have to prove with DNA that he is the father, So if he has the money to take you to court, and he is not a drug addict, a felon or some real danger to the child, he will get visiitation rights. And of course you will get child support ( which you should have been getting from the first month.

I would say that you need to get an attorney, since it is much better to got to court on your terms than having to address his filings.

But it is very, very hard to stop any visititation at all, even some of the worst will still get supervised visits.
    Squiffy Posts: 499, Reputation: 84

Apr 14, 2007, 04:13 PM
    Let him have visits with the baby. So he freaked out and got scared when he found out you were having his child, if it wasn't planned it is hardly surprising he freaked out a bit. The point is he is trying to correct that mistake now and play a part in his child's life, surely that is what is most important here? What is best for that child? This man helped create your son, and he wants to be a dad, so let him be that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Winning her back [ 73 Answers ]

I work with a female I dated about 6 months ago ,we began sharing the same break table when we started dating .When the relationship ended (by my hand) she continued to come back and sit with me .I decided to try again with her because the first time I ended it I was afraid of getting to close...

Best method for winning the lottery [ 20 Answers ]

What method of playing the lottery has the best chance of winning, by letting the computer select the numbers or by the Player selecting the numbers?

Winning over a girl [ 1 Answers ]

K so there is this girl that I really like and I'm kind of sure that. She likes me... But I need tips on winning her over... She's a good girl and she's beautiful. She already knows that I think about her that way but I just need tips on winning her over!

Neighbors are winning. Help me! [ 19 Answers ]

:( Please help. I'm at wits end. So bad it's effecting my marriage and motherhood. I am ready to go somewhere but nowhere to go... Recently moved into a newly built house on acreage(another story but nothing good). Neighbor allowed their dogs to run, cornered husband in port-a-potty during...

Dale Carnegie's "Winning friends & influencing people" [ 1 Answers ]

Is there anybody out there who rates this seminal work as much as I do? I'm a company director and I'm always looking for inspiration. I was a bit doubtful about it because of its age but I now have the audio book in my car and listen to it often on the way to work to set me up for the day. I'd...

View more questions Search