Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    giselagb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2007, 10:44 AM
    Taxes, optional training and tax exempt treaty
    Hello, I'm getting a little confused with taxes...

My situation: I was in optional training for the whole 2006 year. I'm from Spain and I have an exempt taxes treaty. I didn't leave the country for more than a year. And I worked in several jobs.

So I understand that since I didn't leave, I have to file a normal 1040 instead of the non-resident and because of that I'm not allowed to use the treaty? Is that correct?

Thanks for your help!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 16, 2007, 12:40 PM
    Assume you mean OPT.

If so, your visa status (F-1 or J-1) STILL applies, as your OPT is considered an extension of your schooling.

Hence, you can STILL claim the treaty exemption.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Income Exempt by US - India TAX treaty [ 10 Answers ]

I have a question regarding the income exempt by the US - India tax treaty. I was a student from Jan 04 to Jun 04, then on a OPT from Jun 04 to Oct 04 and on a H1 from Oct 04 through. I have a W2 from my University (for part of the summer that I was working over there), a W2 from my employer...

For F-1 Students is whole 'Stipend' income tax exempt under India-Usa Treaty ? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I entered USA in the August of 2005 on F-1 Visa. I received a graduate assistantship for one year and later on became a Research Assistant (RA) in my department. Being an RA entitles me to full tuition remission and am paid a stipend of 18K per year. When I filed my taxes previously with...

NY Taxes, with OPT and tax treaty [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Could you please help me... I had F1 Visa and OPT in 2006 and I filed Tax Return for IRS 1040 NR with Tax treaty. I will expect to receive my withheld taxes back from Federal. I worked in NY State for the whole year 2006. And NYS taxes were withheld from me. Shell I file NY State Return...

Optional Practical Training and Tax Exemptions [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Tax Expert, I am writing you because I need to file my taxes for the year 2006 and have an important question about foreign trainees exempted from paying taxes while in the US. This is my situation: I was a resident of Venezuela on the date of my arrival in US (01/15/2002). I am not a US...

1040NR-EZ Total wages and scholarships exempt by a treaty [ 3 Answers ]

I came to US in October, 06 on H1B visa from India and would be filing my US returns for the first time. I would be filing my 1040NR-EZ form and in that context would like to know a) what is the amount I should put against line 6 Total wages and scholarships exempt by a treaty from page 2, Item...

View more questions Search