Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tamneed Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2015, 12:22 PM
    sex of a child probability
    a family has 5 children. What is the probability that at least one child is a girl?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 9, 2015, 12:35 PM
    50/50 they either are or they aren't.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2015, 12:41 PM
    No probability and no way to determine future. I know people with 6 girls and others with 5 boys. We were lucky, 2 + 2
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 9, 2015, 03:58 PM
    The question isn't what is EACH child's odds are, but ONE out of FIVE (boy or girl isn't relevant). It's a terrible question, because so many factors are in play. You are better off flipping a coin 5 times.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Aug 10, 2015, 07:09 AM
    Please [READ THIS], it explains basic statistics. From this you will be able to answer your question.

(The basic idea is to figure out what the chances of getting all 0's in a binary series, subtract that from 100% and you will get the probability of having at least one 1 in said binary series. For example if you flip a coin two times, there is a .5 chance that you will get heads on each toss, multiple those together and you will get a .25 chance you will get two heads, which means that there is a .75 chance that, if you toss two coins, you will get at least one tail.)
    kreysiz Posts: 37, Reputation: 2

Aug 10, 2015, 10:46 PM
    See the basic approach to this question must be:-
    Find the probability that none of the child is a girl.
    Substract this probability from the total probability to get your desired answer.
    For further details , show your approach to the question.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want sex but not need child birth, how? [ 4 Answers ]

I mean to say that I want to have sex with my wife without using condom but doesn't want child birth. How is this possible, please help me. Give me list of contraceptive pills for birth control.

Sex after child birth [ 6 Answers ]

I just had a child on 2/7/2012. I waited until my 6 weeks before I started back having sex. My partner and I didn't use anything the first time but he pulled out and I went to the bathroom immediately. The next day I went and got a morning after pill to take. The next day we had sex again but...

If a child sees sex can it cause him to act out in child abuse? [ 9 Answers ]

At age 2 1/2 my son walked in on me having sex in the middle of the night. It has been over 2 years sense then however he has been acting out recently at the baby sitters only. He goes to preschool and other places with no problems, was he sexually asalted or was it by walking in on me at a young...

Geometric probability, conditional probability with area of square [ 2 Answers ]

Chose a point at random in a square with sides 0<x<1 and 0<y<1. Let X be the x coordinate and Y be the y coordinate of the point chosen. Find the conditional probability P(y<1/2 / y>x).

Determining the sex of a child [ 3 Answers ]

Is it true that the older a man gets the more the chance he has of producing a male child. And if so why is this? Please explain. Thank you!:confused:

View more questions Search