Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rustyblaze Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2015, 03:07 PM
    Load bearing beam
    Would doubled 2x12's suffice for a load bearing beam 16 feet long that holds roof truss in new england.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 8, 2015, 03:27 PM
    Sorry but no where near enough info to answer. Are you talking about a 16 beam supported only at each end which has trusses along it for the full 16'? This would be like a garage door opening, right?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2015, 12:37 PM
    Trusses typically don't need a bearing wall. What are you trying to accomplish? Parallel or across the trusses?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Size of a Load bearing beam [ 1 Answers ]

I have a wall that I want to take down to make my living room area much bigger. I know its is a 15 foot load bearing wall and know I have to get a beam but I don't know what size to get it. Also if my house is balloon frame work is it going to make it harder to put the beam in? Are the interior...

Load bearing beam [ 2 Answers ]

Just wanting to know if I can build a load bearing beam out of three 11-7/8" 2x12's for a span of 10 feet. with a nail pattern of 4 nails on each side at every 12". Would this pass inspection?

Beam size to replace load-bearing wall [ 13 Answers ]

Okay, I'm trying to decide if it's worth the trouble to open up a room in my basement. It is currently a 16 ft wide wall with a single doorway in it. It is a load-bearing wall. I'd like to open up the doorway to about 10'6" width. The wall supports the floor above, and there is another...

Grade beam or load bearing wall [ 2 Answers ]

I'm in the planning stage for our new house, and we're going with a permanent wood foundation. This is a full basement. I have two choices, I can go with your standard built up lumber grade beam for the house with teleposts (columns), or I can build a load bearing wall in the basement. ...

Replacing a load bearing wall with an engineered beam. [ 4 Answers ]

I have a load bearing wall between two living areas that I would like to remove to create one large space. I would like to do it without the beam exposed in the area. My question is can the ceiling joists be cut and reattached to the beam using joist hangers? I understand that there would have to...

View more questions Search