Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lady H Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2015, 08:07 AM
    Baby formula
    My baby girl is 8month old, she has started her solid food and still fully breastfeed. She is an active baby, has two teeth now, starts to crawl and can sit on her own. The problem is now, I want to start giving her formula since my breast milk is insufficient for her and she doesn't really want to eat. I am worried as she weighed only 6.5kg. Any suggestions on how to start bottle feed her, as she totally rejects bottle feed in any way. I have tried 4 different bottles with different kind of nippels, tried many kinds of formula brand. Try to mix the formula with her cereal and still she rejects it. I myself have tried taking supplement to boost up my breast milk but still the result is frustrating. Please help me on how to bottle feed my baby... tq
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Aug 6, 2015, 01:07 PM
    Every baby is different and some just won't take a bottle to save their souls. Starting latter can be even harder. One trick to use is to start with the breast but don't put the nipple in her mouth, when she goes for a latch, put the bottle in instead. Or start the feed like you would with your breast but use the bottle. IE, tease her cheek to make sure she's hungry, and use the bottle when she goes searching.

Make sure you get the high flow nipples too. With our daughter we used the low flow (new born) nipples too long and she started to refuse the bottle but it was because she wasn't getting enough formula quick enough. We prefer the tommee tippee stuff and were on the size 3 nipple at about 8 Month.

Good luck.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2015, 04:27 PM
    Is there a particular reason that you feel your supply is no longer sufficient? Are you offering the breast before the solids?

As CravenMorhead said, some babies won't take a bottle easily when it is introduced later. An alternative might be a sippy cup. She may go for the novelty of it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Baby is gassy after switching to formula [ 1 Answers ]

I gave my 6 month old carnation goodstart formula yesterday for the first time. Previously she had been only breast fed. She cried for 4 hours from gas in the night. Should I change formula or is this normal when adjusting to any formula? If I should change what do you suggest I change to?

Are my baby girls getting too much formula [ 3 Answers ]

My twin girls weigh 20 lbs. and are 28 inches long. This is what they eat 3 tablespoons of cereal twice a day with a sm. Jar of fruit and a 6 oz bottle A sm. Jar of veggies with a 8 oz. bottle once a day And an 8 oz. bottle at bedtime And a couple oz. of juice mixed with water...

My baby is 5 months should I cut down on his formula too [ 1 Answers ]

My baby is five months old and I give him close to eight bottles of formula which are six oz per bottle and I also give him one jar of food a day. I need to know if I should cut down on the formula and give him more baby food. I am also starting to mix a little bit of oatmeal in the food. WHAT...

Formula baby [ 2 Answers ]

I Have A 5 1/2 Month Old Girl Who Is Solely Breastfed, Well Besides Cereal. My Milk Supply Is Starting To Decrease And My Back Up Supplies In The Freezer Is Slowly Going. I Work Part Time And Pump At Work, But That Is Still Not Enough. Can I Sub With Formula When At Work Then Breastfeed When At...

View more questions Search