Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nan918 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2007, 09:54 AM
    What is Co-Insurance?
    Can someone please explain to me what co-insurance is? Explain it to me in the SIMPLEST terms, as if I am stupid!! :D

I'm looking to change from my current cobra group plan with BCBS - PPO (which is extremely expensive) to an individual BCBS PPO plan.

Thanks!!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 11, 2007, 11:16 AM
    Co insurance is the amount of money you pay out of your pocket to the doctor, hospital and so on.

For example most BCBS group plans at work have low deductables and low co pays, but normally individual plans have much higher

For example you may have a 2000 deductable which means you will have to pay 2000 before the plan pays anything, and then you co-insurance will be 20 or 30 percent. For example if your bill was 10,000 and you were on a 80/20 plan, you would pay 2000 of that bill on the co pay.

I am not downing BSBC but you may really want to price around, esp coming off cobra ( which is very high) BCBS is a group of separate companies not one large company and many have had some finicial issues. Plus on individual plans coming off cobra you can normally find a better price.
    nan918 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2007, 12:02 PM
    So, after I pay my deductible of $2,000 out of my pocket towards the $10,000 bill, when does the co-insurance kick in? Do I then have to pay more towards the remaining $8,000 bill?

Thanks for responding...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 11, 2007, 12:10 PM
    COBRA allows you to extend coverage when you terminate employment. It allows you purchase the same coverage you had while employed, but at the group rates paid by your previous employer. Only you have to pay the whole rate, not just the employee portion.

Co-Insurance could mean a few things. It would help to see the context.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 11, 2007, 12:41 PM
    Ok, it all depends on what policy you get, some policies have a 2000, 5000 or even a 10000 deductaable you have to pay before the policy will pay anything, it just depends on which one you buy.

The co payment can be anything from 50 percent to 0 percent depends on the amount your policy pays.

And it is only of the standard and customany amount,

If for example you have a 2000 deductable, and a 80/20 plan,

If you had a 10,000 bill, you pay the first 2000 before they pay anything, plus 20 percent of the 8000 or another 1600, so you would be paying 3600 of that 10000 bill. ( and that is only if the entire 10,000 was billed on reasonalble and customary charges and if the doctors and the hospital was part of the plan.

What I ran into last month, my hosptial ER is in the plan, but the ER doctors were not part of the plan, so they billed about double of the reasonable and customary charge, so I have to pay that half since it is not even covered by insurance.

Also there are often other fees, some policies require you to pay the first 100, or 400 of any hospital stay,

Then you get into doctors visits and drugs, not all plans include these, and they may have separate co pays and separate deductables,

The best way and to me the only way is to sit down with an insurance agnet and let them explain these to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Motgage Insurance vs. Life Insurance [ 6 Answers ]

Hi-- I just bought a new house and am getting solicitations for mortgage insurance if I kick the bucket. I don't want my wife to have to be burdened by mortgage debt. Had thought about getting term life insurance to cover the mortgage amount, what's the better approach??

Insurance? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I'm Angela and I've recently started the process of getting my home-based business going. What I need to know is this... do I need insurance in my new business to protect me from lawsuits? I do "mobile-face-painting" parties for children.

How does an Insurance Co. Look at this... [ 2 Answers ]

I have a two family with one four bedroom apartment rented as a group home. In that there are three single men who each pay a monthly fee individually. One tenant, who recently moved in, was very badly injured in a fall over a year ago . As a result he has had two spinal fusion operations . He...

Insurance [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know which insurance companies cover bed and breakfast establishments in Montana. We currently have insurance but need a more competitive quote.

View more questions Search