Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomwells92 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2015, 07:08 AM
    Effects of frequency on generators
    My electrical professor told our class (on the subject of AC reactance) that if you increase frequency, voltage does not change. He summarized by saying "if you increase the frequency you are just making the cycles shorter and faster but the voltage is still the same."

But, weeks before this class we were told, in order to increase the voltage of an AC generator you can increase the rotational speed... which would mean increasing the frequency (f=N/60).

Is my teacher incorrect in one of these cases or am I taking these two examples out of context?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 4, 2015, 09:21 AM
    I suspect you are taking the first statement out of context. He said "the voltage will not change" ... voltage of what? You mention reactance in teh subject - are you referring to, say, capacitive reactance? Capacitive reactance is inversely proportional to frequency, so it definitely changes with frequency. However, at very high frequency the reactance goes to zero, so perhaps he meant above some reasonable value of frequency the voltage across a capacitor is effectively zero and so doesbn't change (practically speaking) with further increases in frequency.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Generators [ 0 Answers ]

What is the AC output for a 16kw generator Dpe windings excitation it has 7turns I think the wire size is 18ga (is there a formular ) Also when the AC goes to the Alternator and is rectified is it around 30vdc to the brushes Also is it a different voltage for a different generator Thank's ...

Why uplink frequency is greater than down link frequency [ 2 Answers ]

Why uplink frequency is greater than downlink frequency?

Generators [ 3 Answers ]

What size generator would be needed to run home of 1800 square feet? What size for lighting only? min. rpm's (on generator)for each application? Torque required to started this generator? Torque required to keep it running?

Anyone with a research design on cultural effects. How effects on culture can be meas [ 0 Answers ]

Research design that is measuring cultural effects

View more questions Search