Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abusedpup Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2015, 01:15 PM
    Abused puppy possessive over me, desperate
    Three days ago I got a seven month old previously abused black lab male. He seemed to like everybody at first. Last night we noticed he is very possessive of me. His last owner was always with him, as well. He follows me everywhere (If he can), will NOT listen when another person calls for him, he even growled at my mom last night when she tried coming into bed. This is scary and sad for me. Hes been in and out of homes and I can tell he loves the environment. (Big back and front yard, woods, dog friend, spacey house) My mom says if this behavior doesn't stop we will have to move the scared, poor puppy to ANOTHER home. I spoiled him at first, not doing my research, he was rewarded when he didn't needed to be. I want to retrain him, I want his separation anxiety to go away. It breaks my heart that he is like this, hiding behind me when others call his name. So please help.. How do I get him to listen to others when called? What do I reward him for, how too and what to do? What do I do when he growls at somebody? How do I make him less possessive and realize that the family are the pack leaders? Unrelatable, but impossible to find online too; How do I teach him to come on and off furniture? Please help for I am desperate, sad, scared, and empathetic for this dog.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 3, 2015, 01:50 PM
    Do a Google search in your area for a dog training facility. The answer you are looking for will require retraining this dog. You may consider having your mom actually be the person who works with him during his retraining.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2015, 02:16 PM
    "I spoiled him at first, not doing my research, he was rewarded when he didn't needed to be". You have only had him 3 days, dogs aren't that smart. Is he neutered?
    abusedpup Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2015, 02:39 PM
    Huh? He is seven months old.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 3, 2015, 03:04 PM
    Agreed - 3 days is nothing. You need months of patient training.
    Agreed - he needs to be neutered, now.
    Watch Lucky Dog training on TV. Where I am it's on Saturday mornings.
    Read books, scour the net. People like Cesar Milan.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 3, 2015, 03:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by abusedpup View Post
    Huh? He is seven months old.
    Huh, yes. Seven months old.. have him neutered now !
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 3, 2015, 03:57 PM
    How can you expect an abused dog to be compatible with a busy household in three days ! You expect him to like the environment, big yard, etc. get a grip lady this is a dog and you have bit off more then you can chew if you haven't done your research ! Sit down and think this through. Your post is really off the wall !
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2015, 10:04 PM
    Coming from a rescue and veterinary background, I highly doubt that dog was abused That's the issue with ill mannered dogs.. everyone thinks the freaky, super submissive dogs are abused, when the huge issue is, the dog was not properly socialized.

You need to work with this dog SLOWLY. Slow down.. don't expect him to be OK with everything when he's never been exposed to it. Teach him to trust you, but don't allow him to control the situation by acting like a brat and throwing tantrums. The growling will go away the more you build his confidence. Just because your dog is acting like a turd, doesn't mean he was abused. He is undersocialized and very submissive. He may have been neglected, which would explain his shy behavior.

Once you get over the fact that the dog had a crappy past, than you'll learn to treat him like a dog. Get him over his fears by understanding he was never exposed, not because he was "abused". That is the biggest battle... the owners. Dogs do not live in the past. They can remember things, but they do not live in the past. They do not hold grudges and they do not think they cannot do something because something bad happened 5 years ago with another person.

Petsmart/Petco always has dog training classes. Some of the dog trainers train on the side as well. Humane societies and vets may also know of trainers. But honestly, you just need to work slow and work on basic, basic things... like house manners, accepting a strangers touch, etc. Oh.. and get him neutered pronto!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I being abused or even emotionally abused? [ 11 Answers ]

My parents split up when I was born I now have a step mom and step father at my moms house thing don't go well we live in an apartment and are very poor my step dad is the main reason of our issues we get in "fights" but he yells at me for the smallest things sometimes his short temper has gotten...

Is an abused and neglected puppy a ruined dog? [ 50 Answers ]

My sister got a rescued great dane puppy last night. We are wondering how fast she can gain weight and when would be the best time to have her spayed. I'm so angry at her previous owners who were starving her and keeping her in a small cage for days at a time. Here is a pic; her name is Bailey....

I rescued an abused puppy and need assistance [ 3 Answers ]

Good day, Sunday afternoon I rescued (my terms) a mini aussie from a breeder who in my opinion treated the puppies horribly. After 4-5+ hours of lots of love and affection. My 9 month old new puppy finally was able to take a few steps. I'm almost certain this animal was locked in a small...

Am I Possessive? [ 17 Answers ]

I don't like it when my girlfriend dances with other guys when she goes out, and I tell her that it makes me feel uncomfortable. She wants to compromise on this issue but I don't see how it's possible... I just don't like it. Am I wrong to tell her that it makes me feel uncomfortable and I don't...

Desperate situation with lab puppy [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 4 month old labXgsd. I have had her from 6weeks old. I was supposed to be moving into a house after a month which was fine - with me having the puppy inside my flat. Things have gone horrible wrong with my transfer which means I won't be getting my house soon. I feel terrible for keeping...

View more questions Search