Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    detroitguy1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2015, 01:37 PM
    Is this a fireable offense?
    Hi,

I work for a big 4 auto maker in the detroit area. I also have a side project related t a personal interest ( a website I am building) and will occasionally work on that from my work computer during business hours (stupid, stupid, I know,not doing it ever again). My manager recently looked at my screen ( I had left a screen sharing session on and was answering a non-work email related to my project from my work computer). He called me in and asked me to "come clean" with him and tell him if I was doing other work during work hours. I said that I occasionally answered some personal emails. He said that it seemed like "You got something going on the side". I said that someone was building a website for me and I was just responding to a quick question from that guy. He said that, if I am ever doing something like that again,I should turn the "d$$$med screensharing off"so he or nobody else sees it.

This happened on Monday 7/27/2015. On Wednesday 7/27/2015, I had my semi-annual review with him and he gave me only work realted review. Some positive and some areas for required improvement. When I asked if we needed to further discuss the Monday incident, he said he did was "done with that"

My question is:Can I be fired over this? How likely is it that I will be walked out in the next coming weeks? Thanks for aswering
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 2, 2015, 01:46 PM
    I doubt you will, but you can never know if the guy is a snake or not, but he said it's done and over, so never do it again.

Aug 2, 2015, 01:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    I doubt you will, but you can never know if the guy is a snake or not, but he said it's done and over, so never do it again.
    Thanks Talaniman! The guy is not a snake, he's a good guy. Moreover he tends to avoid issues and controversies. His dilemma is that another direct report of his saw it and he said it presents a morale issue for the team. Curious to know why you think this is not a fireable offense... Thanks!!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 2, 2015, 03:42 PM
    Gosh, tal, a snake ? This is definitely a conflict and a fireable offence. Any non work related computer time with the current employer would definiitely be a positive no no in my books. Doing personal computer work on a work computer is, to me, and should be to the OP, a route not taken by many who want to keep their jobs.
    Expert

Aug 2, 2015, 04:15 PM
    I never said it wasn't a fireable offense. I based my opinion on what the guy told you, and you didn't say he shared this with another boss who may, or may not take action. That would depend on who has the final word, and what they want to do about it. Anything could be a fireable offense if the boss says it is in most places, and a union guy would be who to ask, if you are a union member.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 2, 2015, 04:42 PM
    Man! What are you DOING on this site? Expecting there to be a Universal Fireable Offense Manual?
    You were given a reasonable response based on what you SAID and then you decide to casually drop a bomb.
    Of course it's a fireable offense. People get fired every day for being on their computers for anything at all not work related, even if it's "just responding to a quick question." HUH?
    You have to be intelligent enough to know that there's no such thing as 'just' doing something not work for your employer.
    If your boss is non-confrontational and others are, expect repercussions in the next week or two. Add to that the fact that someone else saw your screen, and I'd say double your danger.

Aug 2, 2015, 06:36 PM
    Sorry guys, don't mean to offend anyone.. I am just looking for some perspective on this Sorry I did not supply the extra info upfront.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 2, 2015, 06:42 PM
    Any company I worked for in the past, using a company computer on company work time to do anything, even person. But esp another part time job, would have gotten me the boot and fired.

As manager I have fired several people for personal use of company computers.

So yes, this is very easy something you could be fired over.

If not, they will be watching your work very close, so you will need to perform better and prove your mind is on your work, at work, not at another place.

Aug 2, 2015, 07:37 PM
    But at my semi anuual review my manager two days later said that he tells everyone how great my behavior is... that I am always available when he needs me, at all hours of day and evening, on weekends... the only feedback he gave me is to work more on my accounting skills... when I asked if we needed to discuss what had happened on Monday, he said that "no, i am done with that"... refused to discuss it. Don't you think that if he wanted to do something, he would have done it at my review?
    Expert

Aug 2, 2015, 07:50 PM
    His dilemma is that another direct report of his saw it and he said it presents a morale issue for the team.
    I think HE has no intention of taking this further, and that's the way HE handles it. Seems you dodged a bullet, unless a team member goes over HIS head. That's my take on this any way.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 3, 2015, 05:19 AM
    Whether it is a fireable offense depends on a number of factors. Are you part of a union? If so unions have rules about what may be used for terminations. If not, is there a company policy on computer use? If so, what does it say about using the work computer for personal use? Give that you work for a major corporation I would be very surprised if this wasn't addressed in a Personnel manual someplace.

But I agree with Tal, you dodged the bullet and I doubt if you will be fired just for that. If caught again, that might be a different story.
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Aug 3, 2015, 06:52 AM
    Be thankful you were not shown the door. Jobs don't grow on trees. More than likely if the hammer has not fallen, you escaped. I hope you learned a easy lesson. The next time if there is one, kiss your butt good bye. As you may know, if
    a company wants to get rid of you, the slightest reason is usually good enough

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm over 18 and this is my first offense [ 1 Answers ]

I am over 18 and never have been in trouble with the law. I shoplifted today about $60 worth of items at walmart. I know it was stupid and I still can not believe I did this. The security officer asked me to come with him. He did not call the cops but he said that I will get a letter in the mail...

One and only offense [ 3 Answers ]

I got arrested 9 years ago in Nov. for possession of 2 kilos and a gun. I had lost my job do to a manager who disliked me. She found a way to get me fired which later after review came to be false. After losing my job I wasn’t aware that unemployment was even a resource till I was able to find a...

Second Offense [ 1 Answers ]

I was just caught shoflifting for the second time, what can I expect that could happen to me when I go to court

Second offense [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I was charged with theft by taking a motor vehicle and contributing to a delinquency of a minor last year. I was sentenced to 3 yrs probation under the first offenders act. A few days a go I was arrested for theft by shoplifting $1601.93 worth of merchandise, and cont. to delinquency of a...

View more questions Search