Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    imadthegreat Posts: 53, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2015, 05:41 PM
    Tax on Foreign Earned Income
    Hi

I have a job offer in Munich and I am trying to determine my tax liability as a US citizen working in Germany. Assume that income is $150K. Now I know I can exclude, $100K (or something around that as it is foreign income). But for the rest I need to pay taxes and my tax bracket will be as if I made $150K not $50K. So far, I think my understanding it right.

Now, for the taxes on the remaining $50K, I will be paying taxes in Germany. To avoid paying taxes twice, I think I can also use Foreign tax credit in addition to the exclusion.

My question is, if German tax rate is at least as high as US, due to foreign tax credit my liability should come out to 0. right? I totally understand I have to file taxes no matter where I am but I am trying to understand how bad I could be hit by IRS due to these taxes. Am I missing anything? Really appreciate it.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 31, 2015, 08:21 PM
    More than likely, you can avoid the exclusion (Form 2555), because the German taxes ARE higher than U.S. taxes, and the Foreign Tax Credit (Form 1116) will likely completely offset any U.S. tax liability.

Send me via email what your German INCOME taxes are and I will do an estimate for you. My email address is in my profile.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Georgia State Income tax on interest income earned and received in a Foreign country [ 1 Answers ]

I have two questions related to the above: 1. Do I have to pay Georgia State tax on the interest income earned and received abroad ? 2.Can I claim credit for taxes paid overseas on this interest income?

How can I file back tax returns for foreign earned income? [ 1 Answers ]

I live abroad and earn very little money. For many years I have not filed my taxes, but I would like to get my financial affairs in order, even though I know I have no tax liability for those years. I have the amount I earned each year and the exchange rate for December 31 of each year. In the...

Foreign earned income and New York state tax [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know if my 2007 bonus should be considered as New York source income or not or should it be all foreign earned income. 1. I worked in NYC from 1/2007-5/2007, then moved to work in UK since then. 2. My 2007 bonus was paid in 2008 and was on 2008 W-2, and some NY state tax was...

Tax on Foreign Earned Income - NRO [ 5 Answers ]

I am a resident alien and I have a NRO certificate of deposit in India. If I understand correctly I need to report interest income earned in India also. 30% tax is already being deducted at source by the Indian bank on the interest I earn in India. Do I have to pay taxes in US too ? Or can...

View more questions Search