Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrd1995 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2015, 05:26 AM
    Voiding and rebilling customer invoices
    Hello

Question- if we bill a customer in one month and then void and rebill that same sales order after the month has been closed out (month in which the bill was initially generated), how does this affect our accounting system?
    For example, say we bill ABC Co. in June, then close June out. In July we learn that something on that sales order is incorrect so we void the invoice and rebill in month of July. That invoice would have been put to June sales figure when closing out the month of June, but then we void and rebill in July.

Please help explain. Thanks.
    Fidget1 Posts: 105, Reputation: 4

Aug 10, 2015, 10:42 AM
    when you void the invoice your accounting system should reverse the original entries. The new invoice raised will record the correct amounts.

Obviously, this will all take place in July's accounts, but it's not that different from a customer returning goods in a period after they've been invoiced.

Your sales figure for June has already been reported, so there's not much you can do about that. Depending on what the difference is between the value of the original invoice and the new invoice, you could put a note in July's accounts to explain, but if it's not much of a difference then there's no need to draw attention to it.
    jerileycpa Posts: 27, Reputation: 2
    Certified Public Accountant

Aug 23, 2015, 10:05 AM
    The affect to your accounting system is that you are recording part of the sale in June and part of it in July. For example, if you bill the customer $100 in June, then June sales are $100. But if in July, you realize the bill should have been for $150, voiding the first invoice debits sales $100 and generating a new invoice credits sales for $150. The net impact is $50 sales billed in July.

That's a departure from accrual accounting, but like Fidget says, if that doesn't happen too often or the dollar value isn't material, it shouldn't be a problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have credited a customer's customer though the customer did not return goods [ 1 Answers ]

I have a credited a custimers account though the customer did not return goods and the account is now showing a credit balance but theyowe us some money.

Paid in Full, now rebilling for error.do I owe? [ 1 Answers ]

Purchased new kitchen cabinets from company. They were awful to deal with. Two different times after I ordered something (a cabinet) and paid deposit they called and told me shelves were extra and I if I wanted them I need to pay the difference (I did). Their policy is 50% deposit, balance upon...

Voiding a judgement [ 11 Answers ]

My question is similar as other. I am seeking the format to submit a void judgement document. U had been through the court on a bill I couldn't pay and provided prove that they had not responded to my request for answer to my question, One fact is that the debt was written off by the company...

Voiding a Lease [ 13 Answers ]

I am in Palm Beach County, Florida. My landlord has failed to maintain the AC unit that we have repeatedly asked him to do. It needs duct cleaning. Besides that he has failed to repair the dryer, the kitchen range and one of the bathrooms. My children have gotten very sick from this having...

Voiding a mortgage contract [ 3 Answers ]

How do I write a letter to void a mortgage contract based on finances?

View more questions Search