Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nurse110011 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2015, 05:11 AM
    Can an employer withdraw my offer due to reference being handwritten and not detailed
    Hello,

I have had a job offer withdrawn, I have received the reason and it is due to my reference being handwritten and not detailed enough.

I have a copy of the reference and while it has been handwritten there is nothing negative in the reference and they have answered all questions on the form.

I would have expected that they give me a chance to provide another reference or get a more detailed reference but instead without prior warning they have withdrawn the offer which leaves me without a job and having already handed my notice period in.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 30, 2015, 06:35 PM
    It sounds unusual, but they can do whatever they want. It would depend on whether the offer was in writing and not contingent on checking references.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2015, 07:16 PM
    Yes they can change their mind whenever they want, welcome to the real world... odds are you are an at-will employee (meaning they really don't need a reason to let you go nor do you need one to leave on your own). Also you never did actually start working for them... and unless you have an ironclad employment contract already signed (highly unlikely)... they could let you go anytime after you was hired for almost any reason.

I suggest looking elsewhere at this point.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 31, 2015, 04:52 AM
    If you did not start work yet, they can withdraw the offer.

There must be some other reason. Did they believe perhaps the reference was "fake". Esp if this was a larger company who would have always used written letterhead.

It does sound unprofessional to be handwritten. Was this a small one or two person company.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 31, 2015, 05:58 AM
    I don't blame them for rejectng your handwritten reference, which leaves it suspect and not very professionally offered.YOU should have insisted on a proper reference.

Your name indicates you are a nurse. Did you apply to a hospital, long term care facility or somewhere else requiring nursing ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can landlord withdraw an offer [ 3 Answers ]

Had an offer to purchase my building. Tenants wanted to exercise their right of first refusal. Original offer was withdrawn. Since no offer remains and no contract was in effect, can the right of first refusal still be invoked?

Job offer and reference check [ 11 Answers ]

I wanted to touch base and bring you up to speed about your application. I am still having a bit of a tough time contacting your references. I have spoken with two of them, but was wondering if you can provide me with one additional reference?

For a reference what if employer passed away [ 2 Answers ]

What if former employer died How do I use her for a reference.

Employer reference [ 4 Answers ]

I had previously worked for a nursing home . Since then I have been trying to get employment elsewhere in the nursing field. My past employer has but in my records that attendance was the issues and I'm not a rehire for them . What I'm trying to find out can they have that in my records so others...

What can my employer say during a reference call? [ 4 Answers ]

I am currently working at Cornell and would like to resign. I have been looking an interviewing with prospective employers and all has gone well until the reference call was made. I had a feeling that my supervisor was giving a bad reference because I interview well, only apply for positions that I...

View more questions Search