Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lovemybullies1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2015, 04:00 PM
    My 6 month old is having problems with her poop.
    I noticed yesterday that my puppy couldn't "pinch it off" while she was pooping.I actually had to get a toilet paper and help and even then it was still hard to pull out. . it looked like string but was grass.. this has happened twice now.. does it sound like constipation or obstruction?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 29, 2015, 04:45 PM
    Sounds like she's been eating grass, which could indicate a tummy issue (although that's controversial, many believe that dogs eat grass to help with tummy issues, but others don't think there's any connection).

What sort of dog food is she on? How much water does she drink? Is a water dish always available to her, or do you limit it? Does she get table scraps or only dog food? Have you recently switched her dog food?

Sorry for all the questions, but the answers may help to pinpoint what's going on.

A few more questions. Is she eating and drinking normally? Is she energetic? What breed is she?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 29, 2015, 06:17 PM
    I believe in dogs eating grass for tummy issues. After all, how would they deal with tummy issues. Brook likes eating my ornamental grass, one in particular, my favourite one ! My dear old taffy liked that one too !

Not unusual to have to help that little piece out of a puppy's bum.

Listen to Alty, she is good !
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2015, 12:30 PM
    Are her other BMs normal? Or does she have issues with those as well?

What is her breed? Some of the breeds with no tail have nerve damage where the tail was either docked or malformed (due to breed) which can cause them to lose sensation in that area. If they do not have sensation, than they do not know how hard they need to push and so on.

Dogs eat grass for stomach issues and dogs eat grass just because it's there. My dogs graze like cattle when they come across the tender new stuff. They'll also eat hay.

You could try adding fiber to the diet. Metamucil is OK'd for animals. Dogs prefer the orange flavor to the strawberry, but if you could find unflavored, that'd be best. I believe it is 1/2 tsp for small dogs and puppies. See if it doesn't improve things. The fiber adds bulk to the stool making for a larger BM and hopefully, everything will come out instead of the stragglers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What can I give my 1 month old baby so that she will not strain to poop its been 2 da [ 3 Answers ]

My 1 month old is straining to poop what can I give her so she will not get a hernia

Training my 5 month pomeranian to poop outdoors [ 1 Answers ]

She is 5 mon pee outside but won't poop outside I take her out on a lease an she won't go an I put her back in crate, I know I must do this for days but what else can I do.

Fever/Mucus poop/ Irritable 5 month old [ 1 Answers ]

My son who is 5 months old on Friday is very irritable, has mucus poop and has been running a fever for the last four days. Fever is around 99.5. What do you think this could be? There is really no sign of teething, but heck you never know!

My four month old puppy has blood in his poop? I [ 4 Answers ]

My four month old puppy has blood in his poop? I assume this is abnormal. What should I do? What could this mean ?

View more questions Search