Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EnglishRose Posts: 279, Reputation: 49

Apr 11, 2007, 08:50 AM
    Punishment for Sickness
    Can my company punish me for being off sick if I provide sick notes and hospital appointment letters as evidence?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 11, 2007, 09:11 AM
    Yes if you are sick excessive, Sadly a company esp in the US, look at the bottom line, they have jobs to be done, and a person who is out too much for any a good reason is still not getting their job done, often other employees may have to work over time, some one has to be called in from a day off, or work is just not done. Most companies have a maximum allowed days you can misss during a quarter or year, and if you start missing more than that, you are subject to being written up.

If you need an extended amount of time off, such as a month or two, there is the FMLA a federal program to allow you time off for extended amount of time for family or personal illness and other reason.

For example if you were sick two days a week for the last 5 months, I don't know of any boss that would keep you around.

Apr 12, 2007, 06:26 AM
    Lol, I haven't been off any where near that. Are complny policy is 3 times in a year leads to punishment. They made me take one of them for having my tonsils out and one for another op I had this year and obviously I have had health problems to do with them.
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2007, 06:29 AM
    So your company has this policy that if you take more than 3 sick days in a year it leads to punishment?
    What sort of punishment?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2007, 06:34 AM
    3 times or 3 days?

Apr 12, 2007, 09:53 AM
    3 times which is really annoying because one time I came in thinking I was better and got sent home half way through the day so it counted as 2. 3 in a year means you lose your commission for the month which is around £300-£500 plus you loose your xmas bonus which is £500. Then if your off again that year you loose your commission again. 5 can lead to being sacked. The result is that everyone was coming into work ill to aviod this and making me ill before I had my tonsils out because I had no immune system.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What's the punishment? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I live in Texas and my husband was arrested this past Monday. He had 3 unpaid traffic tickets (speeding, ran a red light, and failure to maintain financial responsibility.. this last will go away when he can show proof he was insure just didn't have the card) and he also received a ticket for...

Capital punishment [ 32 Answers ]

Is execution of murderers a deterrent to crime

The right punishment [ 7 Answers ]

My friend's daughter started a web-site on Xanga and put quote's about suicide, that she got off a suicide web page, into her profile. I think that this is a big red flag but he believed her when she told him it was her friend's idea. He had previously told her not to ever start a web site on...

Ear Sickness [ 3 Answers ]

My son who is 5 years old has some sort of redness and some itchy boils on his right ear. Few days back transparent liquid was oozing out from his ear. It doesn't stink. Doctor has given him some ear drops as he says it is an ear viral infection. Recently the redness has increased and I...

Morning sickness [ 9 Answers ]

Anyone have any morning sickness tips for me? Its been a while since I went through this, so any tips would be helpful. I forgot just how much I disliked the first trimester hahha. Thanks

View more questions Search