Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cinnamon1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2015, 12:02 AM
    Drip sound behind stone fireplace wall
    I hear a drip behind our stone fireplace wall. We went to the attic and see nothing. But cannot see in front of the fireplace because of the slope. Of the roof. No water stains or. Puddl s but sometimes I hear. What sounds like wet dry wall falling behind the wall. a. roofer has looked and found no loose shingles or holes. Twelve year old roof. There is a dent in the cover over the chimney. Ran water from a hose and it seems to be around the chimney and when water comes off the chimney cover and hits the flashing. Four people have looked and say to ignore it. I'm afraid of. More damage later. Would it be better to replace the chimney cover first before the $1000 flashing replacement or just ignore it. Also heard the drip the other morning when we had a lot of dew but. No rain. Trying to sell and in Ohio.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2015, 08:03 AM
    To determine where the problem is you have to start at the lowest point of the chimney where it comes through the roof. This would be at the flashing. Run water from hose for about 2 or 3 minutes at this location. If all is good, move up chimney about a foot and repeat. Do this until you reach top or it starts to leak.

This will localize the leak ,if you have one. From this point you can determine how to repair it.

Chuck
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 26, 2015, 08:23 AM
    Here is a possibility to consider,

Leak Detection Equipment

You can at least call around and get a cost from companies that use this kind of equipment to see if it's worth it, or NOT. Have you tried to record this dripping sound?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stone fireplace - goodbye [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 25 yr old brick home with a stone fireplace on the inside the home, brick on the outside. The stone part is made of the, for lack of knowledge, plates, that are embedded in mortar. The plates seem to be starting to crumble. I don't detect any moisture. I live in southeastern USA and my...

Drip/ticking sound in wall in room below upstairs toilet [ 4 Answers ]

I've been hearing this sound for a month now. It stops when I flush the upstairs toilet for a couple minutes then it starts again. I see no water moisture but it just keeps on ticking. It also coinsides with very hot weather and keeping the air on .

Painting an ugly stone fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

We have an ugly stone fireplace that we would like to paint with a whitewash to brighten it up a bit. Any thoughts? Has anyone ever done this before?

Price p/sf installing stone on fireplace? [ 1 Answers ]

we have approx 400sf of fireplace (indoors) to be covered with flag stone in a random stacked manor, if the stone is supplied by owner, does any one have a price p/sf that's fair in mind for a stone mason and a laborer? Is 63.00 p/sf in the ball park? Any help will be appreciated. Thank u.

View more questions Search