Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2007, 07:21 AM
    The world we live in
    Okay, at the advice of , RubyPitbull I have started a new thread. A new discussion.

Sort of talking out what we feel is wrong with this world - or our country. What we can do to fix it or make it better.

What tops your list as the most important issue?

There are lots to choose from

How we handle our criminals - is it fair or right that a non violent criminal gets 20 years for not paying his taxes and the guy he shares his cell with killed a child, but will get out in 7 with good behavior? Am I the only one that finds that disturbing?
    (I guess that is what gets me going)

Or how about the war? How much longer do our guys have to fight and die? When can they come home? What is the war really about anyway?

What makes you angry? How would you change it if you could?

So here is my post - I hope you find it thought provoking.
    robertsqueen Posts: 376, Reputation: 43

Apr 11, 2007, 07:30 AM
    Okay the one thing that really upsets me is that we are spending billions over in Iraq, when we should be fighting the war here at home, Homlessness,drugs,abuse on children. Those are things that we should be focusig on. Don't get me wrong I am grateful for what the soldiers are doing, I just think that the money could be better spent.
    Another thing that really irks my chain is when children are victimized and the preditor only gets a short sentence. What is this saying to our children? Arghhhhhhh Sorry I didn't mean to go off... its just I am very passionate about children being protected... thats is probably why I am in school to become a CPS worker.
    Geat Topic to post NowWhat!
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Apr 11, 2007, 07:32 AM
    Ignorance, intolerance and racism top my list of annoyances!

It seems the majority of our problems (and I'm talking worldwide here!) stem from people just not 'getting' other people's culture, or refusing to accept them!

The 'lets bomb that country because they're doing something we do, but differently' or 'let's fly a plane into their buildings because it'll show them the error of their ways'

It's just so FRUSTRATING! We're all different, we look different and we believe in different things, ACCEPT IT!

The climate change thing is pretty scary too, 5 years ago when they were saying 'In 100 years the World is going to end unless we change' I though 'Sod it, I'll be dead!'

Now they're saying 'In 30 years the World is going to end, and there's nothing we can do about it' it's making me twitch a little!

And what's with all these black kids stabbing and shooting each other in London? What's so bad that you need to do that!

/rant
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2007, 07:43 AM
    I think crimes against children are awful. We live in a small town and have about 6 predators around us. A few years back, a man got out of jail after serving a 2 year sentence for molesting his 2 young daughters. TWO YEARS. Where is the justice in that? A year for each. Now he is free to hurt others. And that guy in Florida that killed Jessica Lunsford. He may be to insane to get the death penalty. What does that mean?? Yeah he's insane - what sane person buries a 9 year old alive?
    But, again, don't pay your taxes and your looking at 20 years? What the heck is going on?

On one hand, I think that our society is intolerant - on the other, I think we are to tolerant. Don't do this because it make this guy unhappy - even if what he is unhappy about is wrong. But, then look at us crosseyed and we are going to blow you up. There is no balance.

Apr 11, 2007, 07:52 AM
    I agree completely with you. I can't believe that people that hurt children get away with a short sentence. They talk about how the prisons are overpopulated... well then don't put people that don't deseve to be there in there. Like your example about someone evading taxes. I think that the court system has a lot of work that needs to be done. I am so sorry for hearing about that man... that is disgusting. I kind of have a story about that. I too live in a small town and I was at the grocery store with my son who is two. This man bent down and was helping him pick out a treat. I was right there watching, well this woman informed me that this man was a sex offender. I was so upset. I keep a copy of the sex offenders so that I can keep my child away from them. But this guy didn't have to register as an offender, because he was never convicted. It just really upsets me that we let society and the court system not take child abuse of any kind seriously.

Apr 11, 2007, 08:01 AM
    See, here in the UK they're piloting a scheme to tell people how many sex offenders live in different areas. (So you could ask how many live near you, or on a certain route) but no details like names or addresses of these people.

But I don't understand why, or how it's going to help anyone with anything?

Surely as a parent, you should always be on the guard for these sorts of people, surely teaching kids about these situations and keeping them out of harm is a much better strategy!

When I was a kid, a cartoon cat called Charlie taught me about 'Stranger Danger' and the like and I think even today that's the way to go!

Surely there can't be have been a MASSIVE increase in these offences over such a short period?
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2007, 08:03 AM
    I think to help with the over population in prisons - those on death row should have their sentence carried out. They sit there for years on end - living better than some of us that are "free".
    You never know who you are going to be faced with. Sometimes, my husband thinks I am over-protective of our 6 year old. Then I put it in prospective. Kids get snatched up a stores all the time and they are easy targets for predators. I don't have a problem making her hold my hand through the duration of a trip to walmart. Yeah, she is six and can walk on her own - but our rule is she has a hand AT ALL TIMES. People look at kids as second class citizens.
    What do we do to change that? I have driven down the road before and saw a ugly sign in someone's window that said "My neighbor is a sex offender" with a directional arrow. Visually, it was ugly - But the message wasn't. We need to know who we are dealing with and who our kids interact with.

Apr 11, 2007, 08:08 AM
    But there has to be... what... millions of undiscovered or unprosecuted sex offenders on this earth.

What about them?

A friend of mine got his 15 year old girlfriend pregnant (idiot!) and was put on the sex offender's register because of it.

Are you seriously suggesting that he's more dangerous than a real sex offender that no-one knows about?

Apr 11, 2007, 08:11 AM
    I agree with you. My whole family thinks that I am overprotective... but I myself was victimized and I won't let it happen to my son. I think that those on death row sentences should be carried out also.
    They are thinking of making sex offenders have different license plates... I think that is a wonderful idea... we need to start taking action to stop children from being victimized. They can't protect themselves so its our job. I think like huntersbar said that we should have children learn about stranger danger.
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2007, 08:12 AM
    I was reading in another post about the Don Imus situation. And it looks as though his fate is going to be determined by money. He is starting to lose advertisers.
    And someone said that is the way the U.S. works.
    I have to say that makes me sad. I know it is true. We have given so much power to the "almighty dollar". Why? Yes, money is nice if you have it. It makes things easier. But, really, is it the most important thing?
    The most treasured things in my life you could not buy in any store.
    We spout all these things about family values and blah blah blah - but do we say that because it is the "right" thing to say?
    How do we go about making things right in this world? We can talk all day long about what is wrong - but what do we DO to make it right?

Apr 11, 2007, 08:14 AM
    You are right in the fact that money dosen't make the world go around. I am trying to make the children protection happen by becoming a CPS worker. I think that we need to start taking action on things that matter.
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2007, 08:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by iAMfromHuntersBar
    But there has to be ... what ... millions of undiscovered or unprosecuted sex offenders on this earth.

What about them?

A friend of mine got his 15 year old girlfriend pregnant (idiot!) and was put on the sex offender's register because of it.

Are you seriously suggesting that he's more dangerous than a real sex offender that no-one knows about?!
    Yes, our system is flawed. In our state, they list the offenders on a scale. Depending on the crime - some are just listed as offenders then you have predators. They also list what the violation was - like if was against a child under a certain age.

I think that a system has to be in place. It has to! People are going to fall through the cracks, yes, but what would happen if there was nothing?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Apr 11, 2007, 08:17 AM
    I think personal accountability should be the main thing fixed.

People should not be able to sue someone because they themselves did something stupid. Spilling hot coffee, sueing the family of a criminal for killing their child, sueing because their apartment building lost power for 2 hours, etc etc etc.

GROW UP! The world isn't always fair, it's not always nice, and take some action for yourself! Protect your kids, teach them about dangers and how to handle them (including dangers about teen sex, bouncing checks, living with credit cards, etc) rather than just trying to protect them from the big, bad world.

YES, bad things happen to good people, but people should be held accountable for their OWN actions. You have kids? Then FEED THEM YOURSELF! If you can't feed your own child (or get help from your family) then DON'T HAVE SEX! Or place your child for adoption! You can't afford food? Then you shouldn't have cable TV!

I'm tired of paying for people to have better lives that could just learn to do without such "luxuries" as cable TV, cell phones, televisions, computers, etc.

I know someone who had to go to the Salvation Army for Christmas for their kids. They had a better Christmas than I did! They got a DVD player (brand new) with 12 new movies, new clothes all around (which is great ! That's a necessity!), new blankets, pillows, pots, pans, an electric mixer, plus things to make their Christmas dinner (the turkey, trimmings, potatoes, food for 20 for a week). At my house, we had 2 gifts each, and chipped in to make the family's large meal (for extended family--$10 per adult, $4 per kid, and that got everything).

I live in a building that sponsers Section 8 housing. I think section 8 is GREAT! Way to help families do something better than hovels or scummy landlords! BUT... I live in a luxury apartment. I pay heavily for the privilege of living in this building... nearly $1000 per month (which is high, for my area). It drives me nuts that Section 8 isn't just decent housing, but LUXURY housing!

I have sympathy for my fellow man. I know that some people hit hard times, and just need a litle help to get through... but some people make it a lifestyle, and THAT is what irks me.

Accountability!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2007, 08:18 AM
    Synnen - I give you a 100% approval for that post.
    Well said.
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2007, 08:19 AM
    Synnen, I totally agree!

This is something I am guilty of - I am passionate about what I believe in and can pick out errors of the way we live or what is wrong in the world.
    But, I honestly have no idea of how to make a difference. I have charities that I support - like Breast Cancer Awareness - and I do the Walk for a cure - I am helping. But, to change some of the big things - I do not know how to do it.
    Can you imagine just me standing outside the white house with a picket sign? Not much is going to happen.

Apr 11, 2007, 08:22 AM
    I agree that there should be a list, but only for job checks and things like that.

I don't see the point in a publicly viewable list, I think it just sparks vigilantyism!

My point is this; shouldn't you be protecting your children in general, instead of specific situations and if you are, what is the point in a list?
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2007, 08:23 AM
    First off, do you have children?

Apr 11, 2007, 08:25 AM
    Nope
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2007, 08:32 AM
    Okay, Well then,
    Let me tell you, I have a 6 year old daughter. She is not emotionally capable to understand what would happen to her if she was raped. She would pay a price for the loss of her innocence for the rest of her life.
    I can not look in my daughters eyes and know that if I don't do EVERYTHING to protect her - I have failed.
    I want to know what my dangers are. What I am fighting. If I live 2 doors down from a man that got out of jail for a sexual offense and he has a thing for very young girls - I might know better how to instruct my daughter. If I let it be a silent killer - How do I protect against that? Ignorance is not bliss.

Let me ask this - Would you knowingly buy a home next to a mass murderer? One that the only reason he is not in jail is due to a technicality?
    I wouldn't. If you are informed - you can make better choices. That is why a list is in place.

Apr 11, 2007, 08:41 AM
    Yes, but you don't seem to understand what I'm saying!

You may well have a convicted peadophile living 2 doors down from you that you know about, but what about the peadophile who's living NEXT door to you that no-one knows about?

Are you going to be more happy to let your 6 year old into certain situations with your next-door neighbour more because you don't know his past?

Surely not, surely your protection and teaching is going to be the same for both situations?

What if there's a mix-up and someone gets on the 'list' by mistake, that's a life needlessly ruined! I just think it's a very bad idea!

And I don't think I'D be emotionally capable of understanding what happened to ME if I was raped.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Live satellite of space or the world. [ 3 Answers ]

Does anybody have a good site that has live satellite of the world/space/ocean that I can view?

Where in the world? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all, I know this is a decision I should make myself, but I am looking for suggestions and input. I am enrolling in the Rotary exchange program, and have a choice to go virtually anywhere in the world (excluding africa and most of asia) on an exchange trip for a year. I am in grade 10 now,...

Wife works and live in nj, I live and work in ny [ 1 Answers ]

Due to my job in nyc, I have to maintain a residence nyc. I rent not own a house in nyc. My wife lives in a house with our kids in nj and also works there. How do we file for taxes.:confused:

What in the world is this? [ 6 Answers ]

I've never run into a webpage like this before (give it a minute to load): http://www.space.com/images/google.html What in the world is it? Why would someone take the time to do all that - and what purpose does it serve? ... just curious.

Please someone help me It would mean the world truly. [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I am a soon to be 18 year old who will start my Senior year of High School. I have a friend who lives in Kentucky it's a she. We've known each other for two years talked to each other through phone,internet, and letters. We both love each other as friends an see each other as dating material...

View more questions Search