Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Apartment RO Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2007, 07:00 AM
    Providing My Forwarding Address
    Michigan law states that you must provide your landlord with your forwarding address within 4 days of moving out. If I know my new address, can I send my fowarding address notice early? The official end of my tenancy is this Friday (April 13th) and today (Wednesday, April 11th) would be the best day for me to get to the post office to send it certified mail.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2007, 07:50 AM
    Hello again Apartment:

There's probably a sentence in front of the law you cited that says something like "If you want to get your deposit back, you must provide your land..................." I'm sure there's no law that requires anyone to disclose their address to anyone else.

I know, I know, I'm being a stickler - but that's what the law is. That being said, giving them your address now is certainly WITHIN 4 days of moving out, no matter how you define "within". Indeed, send it certified, return receipt requested.

excon
    Apartment RO Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2007, 08:12 AM
    Thanks excon! You're correct about not legally having to provide a forwarding address, it's only if you want the security deposit returned.

I started doubting how I understood "within 4 days of moving out". I have always understood that as, you have 4 days after you move out to provide your landlord with your forwarding address. Then I started questioning "within" - 4 days before you move or 4 days after you move? I hate moments like this when I get myself all confused over simple english.

I'll be sending that bad boy out in the mail today - certified & return receipt, of course. ;)
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Apr 11, 2007, 09:13 AM
    If you want your deposit back, provide your landlord your forwarding address on a size #10 business envelope with a stamp on it... that is the BEST way to provide your forwarding address... hehehe

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Providing service without a specific price quote [ 4 Answers ]

I had a client which I did computer work. The client called me 2 times for service. I provided the service then billed him. He is claiming he did not authorize the work? I did not quote a price when I provided the service.. is there an understanding that he has to pay something for the service? He...

Port Forwarding [ 1 Answers ]

How do I forward my Ports to my wireless AtivaG54 router? I tried enabling my Upnp fucnction but I keep getting error:password>3char

Landlords providing heat [ 2 Answers ]

In the state of Virginia, does the landlord legally have to provide heat? If they do NOT, what action can be taken by the tenant?

Forwarding Address [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I need to sue previous tenants at my property for unpaid rent/utilities and damages, but they have moved out and they did not give me a forwarding address. How do I obtain that from the USPS? I tried to call the USPS and they say they need something from the court saying they can release...

View more questions Search