Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    123km123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2015, 12:23 AM
    17y/o first offence - theft under $5000. What do I do?
    A friend and I were stupid and stole around $400 worth of stuff in total from a store a few days ago. We were caught, searched, then arrested by a cop. The store has surveillance video of us in action by the way. Anyway, I have fingerprinting soon and a court date in a couple months. Since I'm young, a criminal record would be devastating as I want to go to university next year to become a teacher, and I have my class grad trip in July 2016 and we are going somewhere tropical. I feel horrible for what I did, and I can't sleep. I do not want to plead guilty because that means I will get a criminal/youth record, but I want to take responsibility for my actions somehow. I need diversion or some sort of thing along that track so my life isn't ruined for years and I don't get a record! How do I go about this? Lawyer or not? This is also my first offence and I was very respectful to the people who caught me and the cop. P.S: I live in Alberta.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 20, 2015, 03:34 AM
    I would suggest most definitely hiring a lawyer !
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2015, 07:25 AM
    I'm with Tickle... you are going to have to hire a lawyer... but what you get is going to be determined by the court... not what you want. The lawyer while very expensive...will get you a better deal than you will on your own.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft under 5000 second offence [ 2 Answers ]

I was caught stealing make up totalling about 10.00 a year ago. The store just talked to me and no police were called. I was caught stealing decorations totalling about 10.00 just recently. The police were called and I have to get my fingerprints taken go to court. Will I go to jail?

Theft under 5000 third offence [ 14 Answers ]

Hi I got charged like 4 years ago for theft under and I got the charges dropped and this summer I got caught stealin from superstore and just a week before my last court date I got caught again stealing again from LCBO liquir store... I just want to know if I am going to jail or what'd happen?...

THEFT UNDER $5000 - second offence. (1st offence = theft from employer) [ 10 Answers ]

I am 19 years old. Living in british columbia, canada. Yesterday me and my friend were shoplifting at metrotown mall.. we were being followed around the mall because of our big purses and did not know it until we went into "old navy" where we saw a bunch of bathing suits and flip flops and jammed...

Theft under $5000, second offence [ 2 Answers ]

So, I was charged with theft under $5000 6 months ago, and since it was my first offence, I was able to retain a lawyer and successfully get a diversion. However, the other day, I was in a grocery store, and I realized I had forgotten my bank card. I left to go home and pick it up, but had an...

First offence theft under $5000 [ 7 Answers ]

Today I was arrested for shoplifting at walmart. It was about $75 worth of makeup(3 items).. my court date isn't for over a month... does anyone know the outcome for something like this?!

View more questions Search