Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AlanKitchan Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2015, 11:42 AM
    Please help! - Anxiety of illness that may be caused due to visiting a massage spa
    I've been to a Asian massage for regular body massage 2 days ago. This was my first time massage.I am a cleanliness oriented guy and went to the massage center based on great reviews. It was clean but not great. I have been asked to undress and be on my underwear. I have quickly looked at the bed table and found it was okay in the dim light. I asked if it was new and the therapist said yes. I laid down on my belly and therapist started giving massage with some oil, purely body massage only - back, legs, shoulders and head. After the massage, I came home and noticed that there was a small scratch on my shoulder (not sure of it was during massage by therapist or I have it prior to it). I also have some pimple on butt (prior to massage) which is not bleeding,kind of opened cut, healed but have some swelling.

My question is during the entire episode of massage, the massage oil was poured and therapist has done the massage. I haven't checked the therapist's hands prior to massage. Not sure if she had one. My bad. Massage oil slipped into my rectal lining as well when she was messagin my back.
    So what are chances of getting HIV infections (if therapist has HIV) from this experience assuming she has scratch in her hands and massaged my body with small superficial scratch on my shoulder and pimple like thing on butt which is kind of broken but not bleeding. Also what if the towel covered on me has semen/blood stains from previous customer

Please please help. Am I at any risk and need to get some testing?
    I'm not able to sleep and have a beautiful family. I strictly had a massage only to relieve stress and nothing else.

Appreciate any help please! Kindly please please answer.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 17, 2015, 12:01 PM
    I don't know what you want us to say, of course we can't confirm your 'what ifs'. When you visit massage parlours this is the chance you take.

I don't think it is likely that you contracted HIV but if you want to be sure, visit your doctor.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 17, 2015, 12:31 PM
    You said it has a good reputation.
    You seem unusually concerned. Are you this way about all sorts of things, or is this new? It might be because of uneasiness about the association of massage parlors with sex. Since you can't handle it, have a doctor check you over and don't go to a parlor again.
    Find a good masseur or masseuse who does home visits, and get their training and credentials. Give your wife a gift of massage too.
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2015, 12:39 PM
    Wow stress much?

“I strictly had a massage only to relieve stress and nothing else.” I am no therapist but it seems to have had the opposite impact.

I agree with Tickle in that it's doubtful. I would almost go with very doubtful.

If you stress out this much after doing something you need to put more thought into what you want to do before you do it. There's nothing wrong with being tested and it sounds like it will put your mind at ease until the next thing comes along that makes you panic. And do a little research into HIV too. It's not the contract today die tomorrow disease it used to be. Drugs are working and there is now a preventive drug called Truvada (I think without looking it up) that has been very successful. Granted it's not a license for risky behavior but it has shown positive results.

You really need to learn relaxation techniques because that posting is just one big panic. It's more likely you got infested with bed bugs or body lice more so than HIV. And honestly dude just because massage lady says the bed is new, it might not be new.

Jul 17, 2015, 01:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    You said it has a good reputation.
    You seem unusually concerned. Are you this way about all sorts of things, or is this new? It might be because of uneasiness about the association of massage parlors with sex. Since you can't handle it, have a doctor check you over and don't go to a parlor again.
    Find a good masseur or masseuse who does home visits, and get their training and credentials. Give your wife a gift of massage too.

Thank you for your response. You are correct. The reason for my overly concern is due to lot of misleading information online about massage centers. I'm usually anxious guy and this will not fit into my mental attitude but just wanted to try a nice massage to get relieved from overworking stress I've been. This is my first and would be last visit to massage centers, I'll never go again.
    current pert

Jul 17, 2015, 02:02 PM
    There are massage chairs that masseurs bring to companies at lunch time. All out in the open. You lean forward and put your face on a soft donut like on a table, and get a neck and back massage fully clothed. Ask your employer if you can invite such a masseur for everyone who wants to pay for one, usually VERY inexpensive per person.

Jul 17, 2015, 02:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver2011 View Post
    Wow stress much?

“I strictly had a massage only to relieve stress and nothing else.” I am no therapist but it seems to have had the opposite impact.

I agree with Tickle in that it’s doubtful. I would almost go with very doubtful.

If you stress out this much after doing something you need to put more thought into what you want to do before you do it. There’s nothing wrong with being tested and it sounds like it will put your mind at ease until the next thing comes along that makes you panic. And do a little research into HIV too. It’s not the contract today die tomorrow disease it used to be. Drugs are working and there is now a preventive drug called Truvada (I think without looking it up) that has been very successful. Granted it’s not a license for risky behavior but it has shown positive results.

You really need to learn relaxation techniques because that posting is just one big panic. It’s more likely you got infested with bed bugs or body lice more so than HIV. And honestly dude just because massage lady says the bed is new, it might not be new.
    Thank you for the response. I haven't done any mistake Sir. Just went to get a genuine massage. I realize HIV is not possible this way but my mind just keeps freaking out. I'm looking for some good friends here who can get out of this panicking situation. Thanks again!
    Expert

Jul 17, 2015, 03:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanKitchan View Post
    I'm looking for some good friends here who can get out of this panicking situation. Thanks again!
    I re-iterate. We can't tell you everything is okay but I think you should just chill a bit and try to put this unpleasant situation behind you.

Jul 17, 2015, 05:58 PM
    Folks, I have been to urgent care today and the physician assistant who heard me said there is no chance of getting HIV infected in that way and she is 99% sure about it. How accurate is it? Should I just stop worrying. Thanks.
    current pert

Jul 17, 2015, 06:14 PM
    I'd say she isn't accurate. More like 99.9% chance of not getting HIV.
    I'm being facetious, sorry. You have a fear.
    Please think about the subject of probabilities: women come here all the time asking what the odds are that they are pregnant based on when they had sex and how they had sex and so on. No one can know, because the variables are almost infinite, and because some of the variables would require testing of sperm motility and where an egg might be and again, on and on. PREDICTING is an APPROXIMATION. Will California fall into the ocean next week? Will the winter this year be brutally cold? Will you stub your toe on a crack today at 4 pm?

When someone knowledgeable says something is 99% sure, it's because they know that somewhere on this earth, somewhere in history or the future, something will beat the odds.
    You have to exchange blood to catch HIV. You didn't. There's no evidence that the masseuse had HIV PLUS had any cuts, PLUS the cuts had blood. Effectively putting the odds at 'almost zero,' something like .0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000001%. NO CHANCE.

I know that fears can be irrational. I might be writing all this for nothing. Please tell us if that is so.
    Expert

Jul 18, 2015, 01:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanKitchan View Post
    Folks, I have been to urgent care today and the physician assistant who heard me said there is no chance of getting HIV infected in that way and she is 99% sure about it. How accurate is it? Should I just stop worrying. Thanks.
    You are a nut case, stop worrying!
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2015, 11:34 AM
    Wow. This can't be the only time you stress over something. You need to get a handle on this freaking out before you send yourself into a worse physical and mental state. You said you didn't do anything wrong. Stressing this much, I beg to differ with your statement.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2015, 12:30 PM
    Serious dude. If you aren't getting therapy now... please consider it. Lots of all consuming irrational thoughts going on. YOU don't want them to get worse. Then only shame is NOT getting help when you need it and its available.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 19, 2015, 04:44 AM
    I have no idea, where you are at. Here in Asia, and most massage places in America, the girls that give you the real massages are not the "sex" girls. The sex girls have little knowledge of real massage.

The oils used are normally merely a baby oil, or fragrant type oils. Unless the girl had HIV, and then she would have to have a open sore or cut on her hand, and you would have to have one on you, with a transfer to body fluids.

So with what you said, no, you could not get HIV from that, the oil on her hand, and then on your , would not give you HIV.

If you are so worried on this, how do you live a daily life, go to the store, eat anywhere not home. (would you not be terrified about a cook and body fluids in food? Or how clean silverware is?)

Not that I advocate the ones for sex. (most of them have very good sanitation, and safe sex conditions)

For future, demand that they put clean sheets on, while you watch, look at the girl in good light, and her hands, before you go ahead.

I get one to two massages a week, one of my few habits.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 19, 2015, 11:28 AM
    See your doctor for proper anxiety diagnosis, and treatment. Obviously you cannot handle this on your own.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2015, 04:47 PM
    I'm sorry, but I am wondering if thou doth protest too much? If you have concerns about contracting something, or having your visit misinterpreted, why go to "that" kind of massage facility? There are plenty of reputable locations for massage for stress relief.

IF something else occurred, than you take your chances. IF nothing else went on, then you wouldn't risk HIV from what you described.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Refusing handjobs, sign of visiting massage parlor? [ 17 Answers ]

Hello, I am just wondering if guys can refuse handjobs because they are tired or because they are not in the mood. My boyfriend has been refusing any kind of foreplay or handjobs for a few weeks. I know its different with sex but handjobs and blowjobs? What do you think? I like giving them so I...

Partner visiting massage parlors [ 69 Answers ]

I have just found out that my parter has been visiting massage parlors for masturbation. This has totally shattered me as I never thought for one second that he was capable of this sort of behaviour. When I confronted him he denied it but I have the proof. He has confessed to me that up until a...

Family illness has caused money problems [ 2 Answers ]

HI, my son is 14 months old and has been diagnosed with Retinoblastoma. We are having a difficult time when it comes to money, even though he has insurance, we have to travel an hour and a half one way when we go to his Doctors or for chemo? We recently had to decide on whether to pay the car...

Eviction due to friends visiting apt. [ 1 Answers ]

I recently started renting an apartment in urbana,IL. I was only there for 5 days. The landlord never gave me a lease to sign... or to even look at to know the certain standards. Today he comes to my apartment and accused me of having drug dealers come in and out of my apartment, which I have done...

Please help a family in need due to illness [ 4 Answers ]

We are in desperate need. Please any little bit helps. Even if it is a dollar it adds up. I am not trying to get rich, just save our home and family. If you want proof this is legitimate I can provide it. I feel that God will bless those who helps others. I have been diagnosed with myasthenia...

View more questions Search