Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tosha Brashears Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2015, 09:20 AM
    Dogs
    All of a sudden my two labs act different towards me no one else in the home the sniff nudge me circle roll as if they were rolling in dead animal. Pant and seem anxious pawing at me won't leave my side and guard me constantly this has been going on for about a week black lab is 5 and chocolate lab is 7
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 17, 2015, 09:46 AM
    Are you pregnant ? You are their alpha, correct ? Then they are protecting you.
    Toshbrashears Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jul 17, 2015, 05:15 PM
    Certainly not pregnant and they were my husbands lab I've been around them as their mother for right at a year and a couple months. They just started this almost a week ago. They constantly stare at me won't leave my side yet try and avoid me petting them they have ready eyes and lay down next to me lick my hands and try and lick my mouth the black lab she's 5 and she is pawing at my heart are and my left arm. She then rolls like she is wiping the sent away or something. The 7 year old is a male both fixed
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 17, 2015, 05:53 PM
    Research is going on about dogs who can smell cancer, after many reports of dogs pawing nervously and whining at their owners (seem to recall breast cancer specifically).
    The results of the research were positive, and dogs are now being tested 'in the field' with actual patients.
    Rather than looking up the research, why not go directly to your doctor?
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2015, 05:27 PM
    I agree with Joy. Sudden strange behaviors where the dogs are acting clingy could be a good indicator that you should get a check up.

Dogs are very sensitive and can sometime detect illness before the person affected notices. I hope these answers do not scare you, but a sudden clingy-ness is definitely something worth following for the sake of your own health.
    Expert

Jul 18, 2015, 05:48 PM
    I agree with lucky and joy; labs specifically are used and trained as 'care' dogs for their sensitivity.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 19, 2015, 07:12 PM
    I agree with all the above. A sudden change in behavior of your dogs, when you're not pregnant, may mean that something else is going on.

They're being submissive, protective, pawing at you, trying to tell you something. Time to get a full physical in my opinion.

Jul 20, 2015, 10:31 AM
    Yes they are acting very strange breathing heavy now today they whimper and lay here head down close to me but it seems they aren't wanting me to touch them the girl licks my land and smells bruises and seems to stick her nose at my heart area or maybe it's the breast? They will not let me leave a room without them whimpering to see me. They are now nudging me away from my 6 month old son when I try and reach for him they step in between and head nudge me to back away. They seem so sad and truly worried. I went last week and had a cat scan done of my abdomen nothing unusual I had blood work done I think just a WBC and liver panel. I go tomorrow to the heart dr to check that out. And also going to get my doc to send me for a full cancer scan. They are scaring me but at the same time I'm happy they love me enough to try. They will walk and smell my husband then smell our son and the. They come back to me smell my breath and legs arms hands and then they lick or smell each other and the girl dog walks a few feet away and starts rolling the male lays down by my side and looks distant 😐😕

I'm scared 😣

And thank you everyone I am making the steps to get checked out. What an amazing things these labs can do. I will keep posted if there was or wasn't a finding.
    Expert

Jul 20, 2015, 01:27 PM
    I am so glad you are going the limit to get checked out. Please let us know all is well.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 20, 2015, 04:17 PM
    Not really any such thing as a 'full cancer scan' - there are many kinds.
    Please get a mammogram.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 20, 2015, 04:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Not really any such thing as a 'full cancer scan'
    She may mean a PET scan.

Jul 20, 2015, 07:28 PM
    Thank you for all the advice and concerns. And yes I did mean PET scan I didn't know if everyone would know the jargon so I just said a full scan

Jul 21, 2015, 12:24 PM
    I am at the dr I know I probably won't have an answer today but we shall she where he start is with check list
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 21, 2015, 03:00 PM
    I wish you the best of luck. Please keep us all posted, and give those two labs lots of hugs and kisses. I adore labs, my favorite breed. Labs are the best, such great dogs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 days ago my dogs got in a fight and left 2 puncture wounds on my dogs left shoulder [ 5 Answers ]

My dog has 2 puncture wound on her back from our other dog have treated with Epsom salt soaks and it has been 3 days, it was very swollen, now about 1/2 the size, still oozing, she is eating well, active, no breathing problems, I am still treating her daily with soaks and antibiotic ointment, do I...

My dogs are extremely aggressive towards other dogs, kicked out of 2 classes [ 7 Answers ]

We have to dogs both the same age (1year old) and they are scary aggressive if they see another dog on a walk and they've gone ape in two different training classes and been kicked out. How do we fix this? I don't want to put them down

Why do dogs urinate on other dogs? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 7 week old puppy that I have began to take with me to work. I work a group home facility for boys. We currently have a dog there that one of the other owners brought over and just dropped off here. This dog is almost 6 months old and he keeps urinating on my puppy. How do I stop this? Does...

Socializing dogs with other dogs [ 2 Answers ]

I have 3 dogs since their individual puppyhood. All are neutered/spayed. One male is 10 yrs. And was dominate until his front leg was amputated. One female is 8-9yrs. She is beta and non-confrontational, but she is loyal to the only the male. The last is 4 yrs. We introduced the 4 yr. old...

Are hot dogs safe for dogs [ 7 Answers ]

Are hot dogs safe for me to feed to my dog,or are there any health issues I should be concerned with?

View more questions Search