Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bdiddles1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2015, 05:06 PM
    Unsure how to make this job transition please help!!
    Hello. I have recently been job hunting. I am currently employed. I had an offer letter, which was signed and accepted by me. A few days after I gave my notice at my current job I was contacted by HR and told that something came up on my background check. At the time it was a pending charge. Long story short the offer was rescinded and I had to go back to my boss and ask him for my job back. Since then I was able to get the charge in question "dismissed" but am aware that it still will show up on my background check. I have accepted another offer at another company and am struggling as to when I should give my notice at my current job. I don't want to give my current employer anything less than 2 weeks but I also don't want to risk my background check preventing this job offer from going through. What should I do??
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 16, 2015, 05:12 PM
    Did you explain to the new company what they might find on your background check? If you had explained it to the first company, the offer may not have been rescinded.

But if you have not been upfront with the new company, you are risking the same thing happening.
    bdiddles1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2015, 05:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Did you explain to the new company what they might find on your background check? If you had explained it to the first company, the offer may not have been rescinded.

But if you have not been upfront with the new company, you are risking the same thing happening.
    The question about my criminal history never came up, not even on the initial application. If they asked I would have provided the information. I answered every question they asked me truthfully. Should I call the HR person and tell her my situation? As I said the case has been dismissed and I am in the process of getting it expunged.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2015, 06:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bdiddles1 View Post
    The question about my criminal history never came up, not even on the initial application. If they asked I would have provided the information. I answered every question they asked me truthfully. Should I call the HR person and tell her my situation? As I said the case has been dismissed and I am in the process of getting it expunged.
    I've been employed for over 35 years... worked for 7 employers and applied at dozens over that time.

Even 3 decades ago... there were always questions about arrests or convictions on the job applications. Being anything but completely honest answering them can and usually will result in being fired even after you were hired if its discovered. Not just during the hiring process.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 16, 2015, 06:22 PM
    Do not offer the information unless you are asked.
    Do not give notice at your present job until you have a contract in writing.
    Tell the new employer that you can't start work immediately.
    Easy!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 16, 2015, 07:00 PM
    I don't know where you are located, but I agree with smoothy that this is SOP on applications. II disagree with Joy especially in your case. You know that this is likely to come up in a background check. You have a ready answer that it was dismissed. So telling them about it means they won't be surprised if it comes up on a check. It may be completely innocuous, but if you don't tell them and they find out, they will wonder why you didn't mention it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What cant I do and can she make me quit my job [ 3 Answers ]

I'm from va and I've been on probation for 15 months and had a very bad drug habit before. I've relapsed onece and have a dirty urine bt I've been doing great since. I have a job with a guy that's been a good friend and tried to keep me off everything and moving forward. I do travel with this job...

Offered a job downstate. Want to buy. Unsure of what everything means. [ 6 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, So I was offered a job about 2 hrs south of where I live currently. My wife and I would like to buy since we have animals and we're getting to the point were kids are in the near future. Here's the thing. I don't know anything about buying a house. Here's a few questions...

How to make a painting job proposal? [ 2 Answers ]

Format or sample of painting job proposal or qoutation.

Unsure of which country I have to make my will in [ 2 Answers ]

I was born in the UK, I went to Cyprus to live after being married to a Cypriot then took naturalization there , not losing of course by British passport, unfortunately I was widowed and have since remarried to an American citizen and live in NC USA, going through the process of immigration right...

Privatizing=unsure of job [ 5 Answers ]

Since Indiana elected a new governor, there has been some changes. Sometimes changes are good and sometimes they are bad. My DOB is 08/19/1967... I am currently a prison nurse and unsure if I will be working at my current job as of Sept 1 due to the new company taking over the prison. What does my...

View more questions Search