Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lost?? Posts: 234, Reputation: 7

Jul 16, 2015, 08:27 AM
    20A Tandem Breaker - dishwasher and microwave
    I am planning on installing a dish washer in our kitchen. There was never one there before, so I will have to run all new electric. I know most manufactures recommend putting a dishwasher on it’s own circuit, however last fall I installed a microwave on it’s own 20A circuit which took up the last available space in my box. I was discussing with an electrician friend of mine and he suggested getting a 20A tandem breaker, replace the 20A microwave breaker with this, and then put both the microwave and the dishwasher on the tandem. Looking at the layout and specs that were included in my electric box, it appears I can use a tandem breaker in any slot. The microwave and the dishwasher would be the only items on the tandem circuit. From what I have been able to research, this seems like this would be up to code. I wanted to see if I could get some opinions on this and see if this approach really is in fact code. Any input is appreciated, thanks!
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2015, 03:26 PM
    As long as the breaker is the same make or listed as compatible with your panel, you can do what you want. Very common.
    lost?? Posts: 234, Reputation: 7

Jul 16, 2015, 06:25 PM
    Yep, I made sure it is, thanks!
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jul 17, 2015, 04:26 AM
    In your research, you did come across the fact that you must use GFCI receptacles in you kitchen.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2015, 07:31 AM
    Donf, hope all is well, He won't need GFI for Micro or DW. They will both need to have own neutral, if on a Tandem. You can use a 2 pole 20 amp(if #12), then Tandem something else. May be easier to get 1 wire there than 2? To location. Can Elaborate more if Multicircuit is considered. Micro should have single, not duplex recpticle.
    Good luck.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jul 17, 2015, 09:07 AM
    Strat,

How have you been? My purpose was to remind him that if he puts a receptacle in the kitchen for either of these circuits (counter use) it has to be GFCI.

As written, my original response was extremely unclear. So much for rushing!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is there a 220V 20A breaker that fits into a single slot in my breaker box? [ 1 Answers ]

My breaker box is full and I need to install a 220v 20a breaker. Is there one available that would fit into a single slot in my breaker box? I could pull out the dishwasher breaker and use that spot if there is.

Max continious wattage on a 15A breaker and 20A breaker [ 4 Answers ]

What is the max continious wattage on a 15amp and 20amp breaker?

Going from 20A to 30A Breaker with #12 Wire [ 3 Answers ]

Hello everyone, We are having a few issues were our circuit breaker trips when we turn on the microwave. After the circuit breaker tripped we noticed that the power is shared from our small kitchen area to another office and a computer with a desk. The following are the equipments that are...

Shared neutral on 14/3 with tandem breaker [ 2 Answers ]

Hey all! I am a new member and learning a lot from this great forum. I have a question about shared neutrals, 14/3 wire, and tandem breakers. I have seen several posts about shared neutrals, and want to make sure my home wiring is safe. My home is about 7 years old, and I have 8 circuits...

Tandem Breaker Allowed? [ 9 Answers ]

Is it okay to use a tandem breaker in this service panel? It is supplying a 100-amp apartment. 1-20 amp Bath 2-20 amp small appliance circuit 1 3-20 amp small appliance circuit 2 4-15 amp Lights/Receps 5-20 amp lights/receps Circuit 5 will be upgraded to an AFCI breaker if that matters.

View more questions Search