Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Saffron Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2007, 06:05 AM
    Is my puppy eating too much?
    Hi,
    My 3 month old cocker spaniel (English) puppy, Phoenix, is about 4 kgs and we feed him 4 times a day. He eats 1 1/2 cups Pedigree puppy food and 1 cup minced beef/boiled chicken mixed in with a cup of rice and veg split into 4 meals. I worry he may not be eating enough because he gobbles his food and is always hungry. He also poops huge quantities which I don't particularly like esp when he has an accident at home. I don't feed my 9 year old pom/Lhasa mix any commercial food and she poops once a day when I walk her in the morning. If she's been getting treats then the poop is pretty impressive. On the other hand we don't want to stunt Phoenix's growth by feeding less than what is required for healthy growth. I'd appreciate suggestions. And is it time we moved to 3 meals a day?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2007, 07:13 AM
    It is easy enough to assess any dog's body condition as illustrated in this link, http://www.puppychow.com/products/po...condition.aspx Depending on his body condition, you then adjust what you are feeding to reach the ideal condition specifically for your dog. No chart of weights can do this.

I see no good reason to be adding other materials to his chow. Modern dog chows are carefully formulated to provide the complete and balanced diet dogs need. It is difficult for a dog owner to match the careful balance when adding other things. Most dogs can be conditioned to eat the dry chow that is best for them. If yours refuses, check the ''My dog won't eat'' sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post254171

If your puppy is producing a large, soft stool that is hard to clean up, it must not be digesting some of what you are adding. If the Pedigree has a meat as its first ingredient, feeding it alone should produce a small, firm stool that is easier to clean up. All the dog guide and service dog schools use the concentrated, meat based chows because ease of clean up is very important if you are blind or in a wheel chair.

Phoenix is well past where he needed 4 meals a day. You could cut back to 2 now, and one after 6 months. And yes, puppies can want more than is good for them. Here is a picture of my Zeke a couple of hours before dinner time:

Saffron Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2007, 05:21 AM
    Thank you labman. Phoenix is a wee bit over weight judging by the link you posted. The chow he eats has cereal as the first listed product followed by chicken, meat and powdered milk. He's stopped pooping on the dot after each meal and the result is an increasing number of poops at home. It is disheartening considering we live on the fourth floor! You see we got him very young, 40 days, and he took to housetraining very well. Now he's hitting 3 months and is going downhill. Since he has to complete all his shots I don't take him outside the garden so a nice walk which usually results in a poop is out of the question. Is there any way of anticipating a puppy's poop times?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2007, 07:34 AM
    If their meal time and amounts of exercise are consistent, their times of bowel movements are more consistent. You can bring on a bowel movement by exercise. Even up to a year old, I don't think they can hold it very well when walking. If you want him to go before you leave, and don't want to take him out, try a good game of fetch. When he drops the ball and starts sniffing around, be ready.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Another puppy not eating [ 3 Answers ]

I have read quite a few of the other messages about getting new puppies and them not eating, I have tried quite a few of the suggestions out too.. We adopted a puppy on last Saturday, its now Tuesday, she will only drink a little of water, I finally got her to eat a very small portion last night,...

Puppy Not Eating [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 8 month old Dogue De Bordeaux and he has not been eating the last couple of days. We did move into a new house last week. He does eat a coupl ebites then just leaves the rest. I was wondering if he is not eating because he needs to adapt to his new surroundings or if I should take him...

My puppy eating [ 1 Answers ]

12/9/06 adopted a lab/hound mix 8 weeks puppy. Came home was eating and drinking fine, but today she is not eating. She seems to be playful and is doing her duties but is not eating. Is this something I should be worried about? Your answer is much appreciated.

New Puppy Barely Eating.. Please Help! [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My name is Jason and yesterday my fiancé and myself picked up a small puppy. He has just been separated from her breed (brothers, sisters, mom and dad) and he has been barely touching her food. I am hand feeding the food to him so he can eat a little. Hes lucky if he eats 7-8 pieces.. I...

:( Dog/Puppy not eating [ 1 Answers ]

I received a dog/puppy from a person who wasn't taking very good care of here, She refuses to eat dry food, she will only eat fresh meat or canned meat chunks, I've been feeding her porkribs with her dry food, but it's not working so well. Do you know how I can get her to eat dry food?

View more questions Search