Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Addr Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2015, 02:31 PM
    Deadman switch
    I have recently bought a Scroll/Fret saw and need some help attaching a foot switch to it.
    The switch has a white, a red and a black wire. The white is labeled COM and I assume all whites are connected together. The black wire is labelled NC or Normally closed as I have found out and the red wire is labelled NO.
    Is the incoming black wire connected to the NC and the red connected to the outgoing black?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 14, 2015, 05:37 PM
    What do the wires connect to? It may be that the wire/cable has been changed before and someone installed a 3 wire cable when only a 2 wire were needed.

To make a circut with a switch in it only one wire needs to be broken. You would commect each end to the switch and when the switch is active it completes the circut.

Jul 14, 2015, 06:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    What do the wires connect to? It may be that the wire/cable has been changed before and someone installed a 3 wire cable when only a 2 wire were needed.

To make a circut with a switch in it only one wire needs to be broken. You would commect each end to the switch and when the switch is active it completes the circut.
    No, everything is new. Here is the diagram on the base of the footswitch:

Name:  switch.JPG
Views: 78
Size:  24.4 KB

Thanks for your time
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 15, 2015, 11:56 AM
    White is the common wire. So when the switch is in the closed position it should be black/white. When the switch is in the open position then it should be red/white.

Jul 17, 2015, 01:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    White is the common wire. So when the switch is in the closed position it should be black/white. When the switch is in the open position then it should be red/white.
    Can you tell me how to wire it?
    I have incoming power (black) and white.
    Outgoing (to the tool) black and white.
    How are they connected to the switch?
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 18, 2015, 01:27 PM
    From your diagram white goes on common (com) and the red goes on normally open (no) and the black goes on normally closed (nc).

Jul 19, 2015, 12:38 PM
    The input (hot) black wire is connected to which wire on the switch?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a Miller furnace that I have replaced limit switch 626337 and aux switch 62639 [ 0 Answers ]

Blower will not come on when furnace comes up to temp but can turn blower on with switch in fan setting.

Had no water banged on pressure switch started working so changed out switch worked [ 7 Answers ]

Had no water Friday night. Banged on switch sat morning and it starting working for a few minutes. Changed out switch sat. afternoon work until Monday morning. Now now water and the breaker is tripped. When I wired it up I put the two wires coming from pump one red and the other black on the two...

Swapping Dual Light Switch for Dimmer/Three Position Switch for Ceiling Fan [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to swap out a dual switch for a switch that has a dimmer for the ceiling fan light and a three position switch to control the fan. The original wiring had white to white on switch, black to black on switch, and one black from light connected to the top switch pole and the other black...

Separate Fan light switch, fan switch and switch for can lights to one location [ 2 Answers ]

I have A circuit that has 6 can lights and a fan light. The power is at the switch box I need to know how to wire the separate switches for the cans,and the light on the fan, and fan (That would be in a three gang switch box.) to one location.

York residential furnace pressure switch problem code stuck switch [ 1 Answers ]

I have a york furnace P2MD12H06401A after 1 hour it shuts down and gives a 2 flash error for a stuck pressure switch. The switch is new can it be wired wrong? The old one had 2 white wires piggy back and 1 blue wire. The new switch has 3 separate terminals

View more questions Search