Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    izariizari Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2005, 09:22 PM
    Want to install a separate hard drive
    I just removed a hard drive from my computer (XP Home). I have loads of music and video on it (trashed the computer). I'd like to install the HD on my other computer (XP Home) for only the files and music (no online or email) and wish to boot either one at will. Is this possible?

Thanks for any instructions you can give.

Eddie
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2005, 09:34 PM
    Yeah its possible just you will have to set the one you want to always use as the master and the other the slave because if you do just put it in they both are most likely going to boot up together and crash the system, why did you trash the other system, hd's are very cheap these days, you could go buy a 160 gig and put all the files to that one and use the others as back up's

Mar 2, 2005, 10:12 PM
    Installing 2 hard drives
    I simply don't need two computers. Is there some instructions out there on the internet that you may know of as to how install the 2nd drive?
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2005, 10:44 PM
    Just put it in, it's that simple. Why no need for two computers. Have one as a spare. I have three, one as my internet and the others as spare's. Even more simpler :D but its just as easy as jumpering it and connecting it
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2005, 06:20 AM
    2nd hard drive
    Hi,
    On the back of any hard drive is a "jumper cable", this jumper cable is very small, looks like a small U shaped piece of wire. You might even have to use tweezers to pull it out.
    One hard drive should have this jumper placed on Master, the other hard drive has it placed on Slave.
    Then, using your ribbon cable, connect one plug-in to Master, and the other ribbon cable, (running off the 1st one) is connected to the other Slave hard drive.
    When finished, go to My Computer, then look to see if both harddrives are shown.
    You can find install step by step instructions, using Google search or any search site. Type in something like Installing Hard Drives, and click on Go.

Just for information:
    If you wish to add or subtract from an Experts' reputation, or show appreciation or discontent with an answer, click on the "balance scales" icon by the Experts' name. You can then choose what you wish.

Best wishes,
    fredg

Mar 3, 2005, 07:14 AM
    2 Hard drives...
    Yea, I understand what you're saying, but I don't want to lose any data on the 2nd hard drive after installation-- won't the HD be erased?

Thanks for your replies,

Eddie
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 3, 2005, 07:28 AM
    Eddie,
    Fred gave you the correct advice. Just adding the drive to your system will not format it. You may need to check with the manufacturer's WEB site to determine exactly how to set the jumper to Slave. It may be listed on the drive itself. You will also need to make sure the main drive is set to master.

This will not allow you to boot to the second drive and frankly I wouldn't try that since the hardware may be different. But it will assign the drive another letter and allow you to access files on it.

Frankly I would move my data files off that drive, reformat it then move just the data files back onto it.

Mar 3, 2005, 07:38 AM
    2nd Hard Drive...
    I thank you guys for the responses and will try it today. I just hope that some processes on the 2nd drive don't begin running, since my system is somewhat "over-stressed" as it is.

You guys are great, and I appreciate the help!

Sincerely,

Eddie
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2005, 08:52 AM
    Here's a step-by-step web site: http://compreviews.about.com/od/tuto...s/DIYSecHD.htm

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hard drive easy question! Help! And 1 hard one! [ 6 Answers ]

undefined I have two questions first is the hard one I tried out a trial version of "folder locker" which locks up and encrypts (I guess) your deata so no one else can see it when they are on your computer.. it also lkets you lock down entire drives.. so somehow I went to lock down my o drive and...

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

Cannot see hard drive [ 6 Answers ]

I have a compaq desk pro en trying to load win 98 . Promt says I have no hard drive or cannot read hard drive What could be wrong?

Install Windows on Separate Hard Drive? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm adding an external hard drive to my system for extra storage. I'm unfamiliar with adding additional storage so this is a pretty basic question: do I need to install my copy of Windows on the new hard drive in order to get it to operate? Or can I save, retrieve, etc from the new drive with...

Pc hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

? Dose anyone know if I put a larger hard drive in my old pc can you transfer every thing from the c drive to the new dard drive and I mean everything? If so how is it done? It can't be as simple as copy and paste C drive to D drive. Thanks for ay help. Bob H

View more questions Search