Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Babygrl79 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2007, 06:03 AM
    About computers and their Compatibility
    This is going to sound silly and I know the answer but would like others answers please. Here is goes. I was accused of taking drivers from a Dell computer and components from a Dell computer that is three years old and running wondows XP. I was accused of doing this so I could put it in a 10 year old pentium that is running windows 98. I know all this is strange but I wanted others people opinions to prove that this accusation is not possible. So if anyone else can confirm that this is not at all possible please do so. Oh as to the part that I am being accused of physically taking the computer apart and taking things out of it... they dumped the hard drive and reinstalled windows XP and now this Dell works fine. Am I right in saying if components were physically taken out of the computer reinstalling windows would not of fixed the problem? Please some get back to be so I can prove that none of this is possible.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 11, 2007, 06:30 AM
    Depending on the type of drives in the new Dell, they might or might not work in the older machine. If they reinstalled XP, then A hard drive was still in there and all essential coponents were.

Apr 11, 2007, 06:39 AM
    Hi, thank you, it does help a little but since I did not do this I need answers that will help show that I did not. This is weird I know but my computer is so old it won't run my internet providers security with out crashing so... I want to prove that this persons computer parts are not compatible with mine.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 11, 2007, 06:46 AM
    There is no way to do that without knowing what parts were in it.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2007, 06:52 AM
    Scott is right. Given the information you have given us, we cannot prove that those components won't work in your old machine.

Apr 11, 2007, 07:11 AM
    Ok thank you. I am not sure of what parts I supposedly accused of taking out. They did not tell me that they just said that I took parts out of their computer. Thanks for the help
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2007, 07:13 AM
    PCs are made to be backwards compatible, sure there are some things that fall out of use and are no longer catered for (floppy drives are becoming more and more obsolete now). It's very hard to prove something unless you show them that all you have in your old PC are things that came with it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Compatibility [ 2 Answers ]

What is the compatibility for a libra female and a cancer male?

Have a question about compatibility [ 1 Answers ]

I recently acquired an old air compressor with a 3 wire plug (black,white,green) wires. My only 220v outlet is a four pin receptacle. (red,black,green,white) I understand black and red are hot, white is neutral, and green is ground, but I'm not sure if I can safely adapt my compressor to plug into...

Memory compatibility [ 10 Answers ]

Hey guys, I have a quick question. I added memory in my mother's computer I thought was compatible to hers but wasn't. When it booted up it had the 1 long beep than 3 short beeps. Now the memory she had in there isn't working. When the computer boots up it has a long beep with 3 short beeps. I...

View more questions Search