Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nehaachanana Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2015, 04:00 AM
    Is it true that the Finnish Pine tree has largest recorded root system of up to 50km?
    Hi, I recently came across this fact: The largest root system ever recorded was on Finnish Pine tree with a total root length of 50km and over 5 million tips!

How true is it? Does this talk about depth or spread of roots?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 12, 2015, 05:25 AM
    I would think the spread of roots appears to be what is visible above ground. Not having seen this, I can only confirm what you have found, but if you wouldn't mind please post a link to your information. Not having any arborists here to give a qualified answer is rather unfortunate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maple tree root system [ 13 Answers ]

I have a large maple tree in my backyard right behind my house. Whoever planted it there must not have been thinking because it is very close to the house. The branches extend out over my roof at least 10 feet. I need to know if this tree is going to cause some problems to my basement wall or...

What happened to my pine tree? [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if someone could tell me what could have, what looks like , tore away near the bottom of my pine tree on the bark. This happened in one night. There is a pile of broken up bark and some is a pile of sawdust lying at the bottom of the tree. This is right about at the knee level of...

Red sunset maple tree root system [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find out as much information as I can about Red Sunset maple root systems. Is the root system mostly shallow or is it a combination of shallow & deep roots? I have allot of shallow roots within the first 3-4 inches of significant size (thickness) and was hoping to cut them off. If I...

Crowded Pine Tree by Firs how to prune to free Pine [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Pine tree that over the years has been crowded out by surrounding Fir trees. The trees are about 24ft apart and 90 feet tall. In a row. The Pine basically only has green up by the top. If I trim off some of the surrounding fir branches will the bare Pine branches regrow needles? Once it...

Maple tree root system [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old maple tree which has several rather large roots above ground. This tree is also mounding up and is now approximately 10 inches above ground level. I was hoping to build a short planter around the tree to give the illusion that the ground was level. To complicate things, my yard is...

View more questions Search