Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shilohplace Posts: 7, Reputation: 1
    Interpreter for deaf and DYI person

Jul 12, 2015, 02:43 AM
    Caring for 6x6 post supporting sunroom
    I have a very nice sunroom with post set in concret. Treated lumber. I normally use Thompson Water Sealent on post as well as the entry treated steps. I as well soak concret. My question is it better to continue with sealent or is it better to paint ? I am wanting to protect the wood and the wood to look best with my tan siding. Advise. Man concern is protect the wood.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 12, 2015, 05:14 AM
    Paint does not stick very well to treated wood. It will stick initially but begin to peal in a couple years. The more direct sunlight the faster the pealing. The Thompson Water Sealant helps prevent cracking and checking. If you want to color the wood I suggest stain, not paint. The stain will wear away and fade in time but you can reapply without all the sanding you have with pealing paint.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 12, 2015, 11:24 AM
    Agreed, and there are nice tints for both wood and concrete. You need different products for each.
    shilohplace Posts: 7, Reputation: 1
    Interpreter for deaf and DYI person

Jul 13, 2015, 06:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Paint does not stick very well to treated wood. It will stick initially but begin to peal in a couple years. The more direct sunlight the faster the pealing. The Thompson Water Sealant helps prevent cracking and checking. If you want to color the wood I suggest stain, not paint. The stain will wear away and fade in time but you can reapply without all the sanding you have with pealing paint.
    Thank you, I think I will use the honey color Thompson and get it done. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Agreed, and there are nice tints for both wood and concrete. You need different products for each.
    Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much to charge for installing wooden 6x6 fence post? [ 1 Answers ]

I have 271 feet of fence post to install. Will be using 6x6 pressure treated posts and wire mesh wiring. Topped with barbed wire. How much should I charge for this job. This is my first job.

Footings for 4 season sunroom [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I live in a area where it gets very cold in the winter time. Looking at building a 4 season sunroom, but I'm not sure what kind of footings I need. Don't really want a backhoe in my yard for concrete footings/foundation digging. Anything out there for adjustable heights that can be applied...

6X6 Post Twisting [ 2 Answers ]

I recently built a 9'H x10'W x 10'L Pergola on a concrete slab. Each corner has a 6x6 pressure treated post and one of the post has started to twist on the bottom. The top has not been affected yet but I am worried it soon will. Any way of trying to straighten out the post. The post is anchored to...

Skirting a sunroom [ 1 Answers ]

I recently added an AC/heatpump for our sunroom. Before winter, I want to close in the crawlspace under the room. I plan to lay 6 mil plastic on the ground as a vapor barrier and use cement siding boards to build the skirting. (There's already insulation under the sunroom floor. Do I need to put...

View more questions Search