Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moorerocks Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2007, 04:23 AM
    Tile a Bathroom floor
    I'm currently remodeling my bathroom. The plan is to replace the toilet and vanity. Should I tile up to the vanity or install the tile prior to installing the vanity and have the tile under the edges of the new vanity? Thanks for the help!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 11, 2007, 06:37 AM
    The proper installation would be to tile the entire room first and then install the vanity. Later down the road someone else may install a different vanity that is slightly different sized. It doesn't much matter and its up to you. Does the existing flooring go under the old vanity?

Apr 11, 2007, 07:18 AM
    No, the existing floor went up to the vanity. So it left a large grout line, which was under the edge of the vanity and not noticeable (but it looked goofy). Tiling the entire floor does make since. Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 11, 2007, 07:20 AM
    If you need help with the tile installation just write back. Good kuck

Apr 17, 2007, 03:47 AM
    Similar question... other side of the room. Do you tile up to or under the bath tub? Thanks
    Clear-Mind-Web Posts: 16, Reputation: 6

Apr 17, 2007, 08:42 AM
    Will the tile fit under the tub?

If so then having the tile go underneath for an inch or two is fine.

If not, then don't worry about it. Try to cut the tile so that you have ~1/8" gap between the edge of the tile and the tub. When grouting try to avoid filling the gap between tile and tub. Then caulk that joint. You can usually find a "grout caulk" that is close to or the same color as your grout.

Tub replacement is something that usually happens only with major renovations, so a new floor would be likely to go hand in hand with that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tile leak from 3rd floor through 2nd floor ceiling (bath) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi All: We renovated our third floor bathroom which included stripping the floor down and installing tiles (1" squares within 1' blocks). After our 3rd floor tenant takes long showers we get some leakage through her floor and thusly through our ceiling (which we now have partially open to have...

Laying tile in upstairs bathroom and ground floor kitchen [ 7 Answers ]

I am planning to lay 12 x 12 ceramic tile in my master bathroom on the second floor and most likely I will be laying it over the existing solid sheet, non-padded vinyl flooring which is in good condition. And I will also be laying over the same vinyl flooring in my ground floor kitchen. Can...

Floor Tile, Concrete floor is sealed. [ 1 Answers ]

I want to replace carpet with tile on concrete floor but concrete is sealed with some coating. Do I have to prime this or remove sealant?

Sub-floor for Tile [ 1 Answers ]

I pulled up the linoleum in my bathroom and the sub flooring has water damage. It's pretty thick plywood. How do I pull that up? Its wedged in tight. I have a crowbar and it would be fun to use, but I don't want to ruin anything. The area is only about 5'x5'. It's in three sections. Can I...

Tile Bathroom Floor [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, my husband just recently Tiled our bathroom floor, and he just grouted the tile yesterday, how long will it need to dry before being able to get wet (like if we use the bathtub/shower) and also is it necessary to seal the grout? He says it's not but I have read on the internet otherwise? ...

View more questions Search