Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Megaman702 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2015, 07:59 PM
    Two weeks notice
    I recently was hired at a production company and after seven weeks I realized that this wasn't working out with my daily schedule.When I was going to go tell the management that I was going to put my two weeks in I just happen to find my boss and the HR together. I told them and the HR said that they were going to put me down as a negative hire or something like that because my probationary time was not over yet. My question is when I give them my two weeks notice, can I have the HR or the boss sign it and keep a copy of it for documentation?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 9, 2015, 12:24 AM
    You can ask them, they are under no obligation to do so. But.. you already told them, you were giving two week notice. (that is really giving notice, notice does not have to be in writing, it can be verbal) So do they already count this as notice?

Do you have any other jobs lined up? And to be blunt, work, you often change your personal life schedule to fit it.

Do you have another job ready, Can you afford to live with no income?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 9, 2015, 11:25 AM
    Your question doesn't really make sense. Negative hire doesn't mean you weren't hired or didn't work there! It has to do with their policies regarding all employees and their rights, and any benefits that start after the probation.

You need to go to your boss and be clear that you didn't give notice yet. It's highly unusual to warn a company that you are going to warn them.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 9, 2015, 05:12 PM
    So you went to put in your 2 weeks notice, then found HR there and didn't put in your two weeks notice, but told them you were going to? Now you're leaving them hanging, waiting for you to officially put in your 2 weeks notice? I'm surprised they didn't just fire you.

You are a bad hire. Sorry to be blunt, but wow! Look at it from the point of view of a company that's hiring, or a boss. You were not a great choice for them.
    Megaman702 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2015, 11:45 AM
    @Fr_Chuck; Thank you for your answer . The HR did sign it when I handed it to her in formal writing. Yes I got a job from a federal work-study program at school working at my university's library circulation desk.I made several adjustments to try to make it work for school, my military responsibilities and this new job, but I was getting backed up on classwork and reading time for my summer courses and was getting 4-5 hours of sleep in one day. I'm 18 credits away from getting my Bachelor's degree in Electronics Engineering and I can't let a couple of dollars compromise me from obtaining that goal.

@joypulv; Thank you for your response. I see how this got confusing . I did tell them when I was quitting verbally when I ran into them , I told them I would have it typed out in formal writing at the end of the week. I made two copy's of it one for them and one for myself. The reason why I wanted to get it signed was because that Negative hire thing kind of spooked me as I'm not sure what that really means I assumed that means you fired or something of that nature, and in case they do say they fired me I wanted to be able to prove to a future employer that I left and was not fired or forced to leave,should that situation ever arise.

@Alty;Thank you for responding . Excuse me but you clearly did not read it right. I clearly said " I told them " ,how is that leaving them hanging?If a was a bad candidate I wouldn't have even gotten that job. The main boss didn't want me to leave because he didn't want to HR to put me as a negative so I can come back and work for them again if I needed a job later on. But to be honest that place is an accident waiting to happened the employees are overworked , the employer is violating multiple OSHA regulations, and the supervisors are turning a blind eye just so they can stay on top of there bull numbers. What does your judgement say about your character though? Labeling someone as a bad hire because I'm looking out for my education , my health , my safety and refuse to stress over a bs part time job.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 13, 2015, 08:33 PM
    Alty;Thank you for responding . Excuse me but you clearly did not read it right. I clearly said " I told them " ,how is that leaving them hanging?If a was a bad candidate I wouldn't have even gotten that job. The main boss didn't want me to leave because he didn't want to HR to put me as a negative so I can come back and work for them again if I needed a job later on. But to be honest that place is an accident waiting to happened the employees are overworked , the employer is violating multiple OSHA regulations, and the supervisors are turning a blind eye just so they can stay on top of there bull numbers. What does your judgement say about your character though? Labeling someone as a bad hire because I'm looking out for my education , my health , my safety and refuse to stress over a bs part time job.
    I read your post the way it was written, and I quote:

My question is when I give them my two weeks notice, can I have the HR or the boss sign it and keep a copy of it for documentation?
    When you give your notice. Not, I gave my notice, but when I give it. In other words, it hasn't yet been given.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 13, 2015, 08:36 PM
    I would say, I would not list them on any resume or use them for any reference. It appears they are unhappy with the way you left, and from what you said, would give you a negative reference on work

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Two weeks notice. [ 4 Answers ]

I am giving my two weeks notice at McDonalds and was wondering what to put in it... Do I just say I am moving on or do I put the actual reasons in. I am wanting to do this as mindfully and non judgmental as possible. I went back to nights after talking to the restaurant manager and my...

2 weeks notice to employer [ 4 Answers ]

I just gave my employer a 2 weeks notice to leave. Can I make up my mind and reverse my decision and stay? A coworker of mine recently did that but when he came back to HR he was told that they couldn't do anything about it. If that happens in my case, and it probably will, is there something...

Can landlord evict me with 2 weeks notice [ 13 Answers ]

I live in a house and rent a room from my landlord I am up to date on all rent. I have no lease and I came home from Thanksgiving break to an email that states "as your landlord this is your 2 week notice to move out" Can I just be told to move out in 2 weeks?:(

Two weeks notice [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering, I just gave my boss my two weeks notice today, that I am going to quit. Now, considering I behave myself, and don't do anything REAL bad, could I still be fired, for example, if I got a little lippy with my boss? I have a feeling he is going to call me tomorrow, and I really...

Two weeks notice [ 4 Answers ]

Can you be legally terminated for giving two weeks notice?

View more questions Search