Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gemmalkj Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Apr 11, 2007, 03:27 AM
    Cloudy Tank Water
    Hi I bought a Biorb fish tank on Saturday which said it had everything you need for cold water fish but on Monday I noticed the tank was a white cloudy colour and I could hardly see the fish unless they came to the front of the tank. Someone mentioned I might not of cleaned the gravel properly so yesterday I took it all out and repeated the same process but a couple hours later it was cloudy again. Can anyone help as you can tell I haven't a clue.

Thanks
    Gemma:confused:
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2007, 03:27 PM
    Your tank has not yet cycled...
    The cloudiness you are experiencing is a typical sign of the development of the Nitrogen cycle.
    The cloudiness is caused by pollutants and bacteria... Every new tank must go through this stage.
    Also, once the cycle is established, care must be taken to not disturb the beneficial bacterial colonies.
    Does your filter provide a place for the bacterial colonies to live? - this would be something along the lines of a bio-sponge or bio-wheel.
    If you are unsure, you can give me the name of your filter and I'll look it up and explain the best way for you to maintain it.
    How many gallons is your aquarium?

Please read this article: Aquarium Cycle/The Nitrogen Cycle for more information.
    If you have any further questions, I'd be happy to help. I can help you get through this process.

Do you have water tests to determine Ph, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels?

Kae
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2007, 04:02 PM
    Does it look like this? and does it have an under gravel filter?
    Name:  biubetg.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  2.2 KB

Apr 11, 2007, 11:30 PM
    Petsathome.com - BABY BIORB WITH LIGHT
    This is the link to my fish tank it has a under gravel filter I do not have any water tests.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2007, 12:05 AM
    You shouldn't put fish in a new aquarium until everything stabilizes. Your water needs to balance out, your plants need to root, your filter needs to build up the necessary good bacteria to keep the water well balanced in a natural way. Cloudiness is very common as a tank stabilizes (new tank syndrome). It generally means that you have bacteria in the tank. I would suggest you do some more research on setting up an aquarium prior to doing anything more, but you could use a conditioning product such as Tetra Aqua-Safe to help you out.

You could be over-feeding. If so, then remove the waste, then about 15 to 20% of the water and replace with some fresh water. Do this daily for a few days if it's really bad, however usually twice a week is good. Don't remove too much of the water at once, because it will stress the fish. Reduce the amount you are feeding. You shouldn't feed more than the fish can eat in 5 or 10 minutes, then remove any excess and ensure you feed a bit less the next feeding.

Good luck!

Didi
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2007, 05:41 PM
    Hi Gem,

Thanks for the great link to your aquarium! That helps a lot!

It is quite all right that you added fish to your aquarium.
    Despite what some may say, you cannot just simply add water to an aquarium and wait a few days... It doesn't work that way.
    You need a source of ammonia to begin the cycling process and decaying fish waste will offer that.

Did you happen to read the article for a better understanding of the aquarium cycle?

Your tank has only been set up for 5 days, so I believe you to be here in the cycling process:
    fish waste = ammonia

Ammonia clouds the water, and I believe that's what's happening inside your tank right now.

Bacterial blooms cloud the water too, but your tank is only 5 days old and that is not enough time for a full blown bacterial bloom.

You have an under gravel filter. This means that the bacterial colonies that will develop to break down the toxic ammonia and nitrite will live in the gravel.

In order to not disturb the colonies, you will need to either leave the gravel alone completely (recommended) or gently turn over surface gravel to release debris before preforming water changes.

Usually I recommend to new fish keepers that they use only 1 fish during the cycling process, but it's OK if you already have more than that.

You do want to make sure that it's not overcrowded though.
    What kind and how many fish do you have in your tank?
    And is it 4 gallons (15 liters)?

Right now, your aquarium needs to establish the nitrogen cycle.
    This will take a few weeks.
    I recommend that you purchase a 5 in 1 dip stick water test. They are becoming very popular among fish keepers because it's simple to use and affordable.
    You can buy at Walmart, petsmart, and other pet shops.

With the test readings you can determine exactly where you are in the cycling process and whether you need to preform water changes to dilute toxins - I can help with understanding this.

After your cycle is complete and the gravel has established all the necessary beneficial bacteria to convert toxins into a non toxic form, you will only need to preform 1 monthly 20% water change to maintain the aquarium.

Establishing the Nitrogen cycle is the hardest part of fish keeping... Your aquarium will be crystal clear after this process... Then, care must be taken not to disturb the bacterial colonies that keep the water clean (not disturbing the gravel) or you will have bacterial blooms which will then cloud the water...

Right now, I'd recommend doing a 10% water change daily until you get some means of testing your water.
    Feed fish lightly (no more than they can consume in 1 minute).
    Crush one flake at a time, wait until it's gone before adding more.
    After 1 minute is up, they are done for the day (during this cycling process).

Please let me know how things are going, I'm here to help :D

Kae

Apr 12, 2007, 11:34 PM
    Thank you very much you've been a great help I'll keep you updated on my progress

Thanks
    Gemma
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2007, 08:49 PM
    Your welcome:D

I love updates so please let me know how it turns out
    And, I'm always here to answer questions if you have any:D

Kae

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cloudy fish tank [ 22 Answers ]

Hello , I recently got a new hobby... a 30 gallon aquarium.I have had it about 2 months. Initially I put in 6 gold fish,3 red cap orandas and 3 gold fish. I then went and bought ranchu(fat one) and bought 2 plecos(algea eaters) and 3 apple snails. All are fine, except that 2 of the snails died...

New - Another Cloudy Tank! [ 28 Answers ]

Nitrate: at 40 ppm or slightly below Nitrite: 0 ppm Hardness: 120 ppm Alkalinity: 80 ppm PH: between 6.4 - 6.8 Ammonia: 0 ppm 29 Gallon tank, set it up around 5 months ago. Temperature right around 79 - 80 F

Cloudy fish tank [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I just bought my fish tank 2 days ago I feed them very little in the morn. And very little at night... I use bottled water that they gave me at the store with the fish... yesterday morning the tank was cloudy I can't even see half of the fish only when they come to the front... what seemd to...

Cloudy 10 gal. Fresh Water Tank [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Here we go I set up a 10 gal. fresh water fish tank up back in November, I have no fish in the tank. 1) the PH was very high so I tried to get the ph down (still working on this) 2) the tank has been very cloudy (milky) for about 1 1/2 months No matter what I do its very cloudy and the...

Fish tank cloudy [ 6 Answers ]

All the typical teats come back normal (ammonia, nitrite,nitrate) but the water stays cloudy no matter the water changed or not. The fish tank is a 72 bow front with 4 fish 2 Amazon tiger catfish both about 8 in. 1 armor catfish and 1 pleco. I know the tank is not over stocked or over feed. Any...

View more questions Search