Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    premalshah Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2007, 01:11 AM
    1099-misc on cpt
    Hi,
    I used to work at a web 2.0 company while I was on f1-cpt. The employer gave me a 1099-misc. is it OK to get a 1099 on f1? If yes, what kind of deductions can I get considering I was married in dec 2006? If no, what can I do?

Premal
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 19, 2007, 08:25 AM
    Premal:

No, your company should NOT have paid you under Form 1099-MISC.

However, that s NOT your fault, so report the income using Schedule C and Form 1040NR.

You should be able to claim your wife as a dependent if you ended the year under the F-1 visa.

If you ended under an H-1B visa, you MAY want to file jointly, but do so makes you liable for a 15.3% self-employment tax on your Form 1099-MISC income. Because of that, it may make more sense to file Form 1040NR and just claim your wife as a dependent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1099-misc [ 3 Answers ]

Last year I was a full time student and also during that time I worked as a T.A and consequently have the W-2 with that income and also as an independent contractor (I have the 1099 MISC which corresponds to that income). As I understand it even though my total gross income is below the minimum...

1099-misc [ 4 Answers ]

I did not receive a w-2 for 2005 taxes, all I received was a 1099-MISC. How am I supposed to fill out my taxes? What form am I supposed to use?

F-1 to cpt to opt- two w-2's & 1099 misc [ 1 Answers ]

Hi *Indian Citizen I am on F-1 and got CPT in Summer 2005 (May05-AUG05) and am on OPT since OCT05. I have a W-2 from school from Jan 05 to May 05, a 1099-MISC from May 05 - Aug 05(my internship/CPT) and another W-2 for the rest of 2005 from my employer(OPT). I am trying to figure out...

1099-misc [ 1 Answers ]

I filed my taxes and shortly thereafter realized that my 1099-MISC income for contract work was incorrectly reported under box 4 (Federal Income Tax Witheld). So, instead of my 1099-MISC showing nonemployee income, it showed that total as being Federal Income Tax Withheld. Do I just let this go...

View more questions Search