Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gracie2014 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2015, 05:49 AM
    Child abandonment/how to get custody etc.?
    My great nephew has lived with me since he was 9 months old, he is 36 months old now. His mother has never contributed any type of support. Over the last couple of years I have helped her, but there is no bond between her and this child. She has had another child since then. I kept him for four months, she has taken him from here and now my ex sister n law has him. She does not call or contact the one I have or ask about him unless she needs help from me. She is on SSI. Is there anything I can do legally. I have no birth certificate for him to get him registered for pre k etc. Health dept says I can't get one unless I am ordered custody through the courts.. She has 4 kids total and doesn't have any of them. Need advice for this child.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 3, 2015, 12:34 PM
    Your only option is to go for custody. Then the courts can do something about it. As of right now you have no legal ties to the child and the mother can take him/her away at any time.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 4, 2015, 08:46 AM
    You are right, you have no legal rights when it comes to this child. The mother or father can come at any time and take the child back and there is almost nothing you can do about it.

What you need to do is, first establish guardianship. Get a court to establish you as the child's legal guardian. From there I would try for an adoption. At the least go for full legal custody. I would strongly suggest contacting a local Family Law attorney as to what the process is. But it WILL need to involve the courts.

You might also try talking with the local Family Services agency, but I would talk to an attorney first.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child custody: Abandonment? [ 1 Answers ]

When I was 17 a 9 month old child was left with me to "babysit" for two weeks. The mother, my mothers cousin by marriage never asked me to keep the child he was brought to me by one of my aunts. There has never been a formal talk about the future i.e.. Her coming back and trying to take him or...

Child custody and abandonment. [ 4 Answers ]

My ex girl friend came and took our son from me and sent him to live with her mother. All of this after I ask her to spend more time with him. She live across the street from me. After saying that this was me calling her a bad mother. I am not allowed at her mothers cannot go get him and was told...

Child custody. Abandonment [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old son, I broke up with his mom about 6 months ago. Since then it has been a nightmare to be able to see him. We set up times for me to pick him up and she doesn't show, doesn't answer.. nearly every-time. She took off out of state for a week and didn't tell me and I wasn't able...

Child Custody/Abandonment [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Texas in Brazoria County, I have a two year old son with my ex-fiancee who has only seen him two times in those two years. I have talked to him on and off and he says he's going to come see him but never does. I have not heard anything from him since Feb of 2008. I am not receiving any...

View more questions Search