Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beachy72 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2015, 12:00 PM
    Cedar Shakes
    My very old home has some very old cedar shakes that need replacing. How do I remove and replace correctly. Thanks in advance
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 27, 2015, 12:05 PM
    How many, percentage wise, is some?
    Given that you have to cut the nail holding down the bad shake, and it's behind the overlap of the one above it, it gets tricky.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2015, 07:21 AM
    Depending on the type of installation you have and type of shakes. Can you give us a little more detail and maybe a picture?

Is there a shadow line? This would mean you have a backer board under shingle.

Are they rough cut, striated, plain?

What is exposure to weather?

With answer to these questions can give you the easiest and right way to remove.

Good luck

Chuck

Jun 28, 2015, 10:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    How many, percentage wise, is some?
    Given that you have to cut the nail holding down the bad shake, and it's behind the overlap of the one above it, it gets tricky.
    Oh boy... that's what I was afraid of. My house has shakes over clapboard (spelling?)... my Grandfather did it in the early 1920's... that's a guess. South side could probably use all replacing... probably easier... about 10 percent on north side... 15 percent on west and none on east. Had the shakes stained (again) about 9 years ago and the fella that did it replaced a lot of curled shakes. I should have watched him.. Wonder if You Tube has any videos. Thanks so much for your response... It is appreciated.

Jun 28, 2015, 10:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by creahands View Post
    Depending on the type of installation you have and type of shakes. Can you give us a little more detail and maybe a picture?

Is there a shadow line? This would mean you have a backer board under shingle.

Are they rough cut, striated, plain?

What is exposure to weather?

With answer to these questions can give you the easiest and right way to remove.

Good luck

Chuck

Hi Chuck... No shadow line... they are installed right over clapboard (spelling?) They are plain. South and west sides worse than north and east. South could pretty much be complete replace. East - none... West 20percent... North maybe 10 percent... I'm going to check YouTube to see if there are any videos. I'd upload a picture - but I really don't know how! Thanks so much for posing these questions... they do help me a lot... Around where I live to have someone come in and do this would be so expensive... so I must try to do this myself. :-/
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 28, 2015, 03:45 PM
    You will need a special hacksaw for this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO5Otrqupc8

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Staining cedar shakes [ 1 Answers ]

Is it okay to stain new cedar shakes when the outside temperature is over 35 degrees but less than 45?

Priming cedar shakes siding [ 1 Answers ]

Do I have to use an oil base primer when repainting my cedar shake siding. This is the method I've used in the past, but after a few years, the paint still cracks and peels. I've been told that I can use an acrylic water base primer, but I want to be sure before doing so to prevent an error. ...

Cedar Shakes [ 2 Answers ]

Our cedar shakes have been painted with regular exterior paint and it is time to repaint. What paint is best?

View more questions Search