Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AdvicePlease6 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2015, 04:03 PM
    Pregnant &; needing advice!
    Hello everyone,

I have recently found out I am 8 weeks pregnant. I had to leave work because I worked in a dementia unit where many residents were very violent. Also, it is a common place for illness, especially the norovirus, which I recently recovered from having before I knew I am pregnant. I also weren't allowed to lift heavy residents anymore either.

Anyway, I do want to work, as I need the money, so I have applied for everywhere possible within a 30 mile radius as I have to take the train because I don't drive. I am trying my hardest to find a job, I am just waiting for replies etc and I live in a very small town so it is hard to find them easily. I applied for job seekers allowance (I live in the UK), but I have been refused any money because I chose to leave work for the safety of myself and the baby. So now I am looking at going months without getting any money at all until I manage to get a job. How am I meant to buy food now? Am I meant to starve because I care about my baby and don't want to be constantly hurt at my previous job like I was nearly every shift? Is there anyway around this? I can appeal but it would take too long to be sorted and I have little money as it is to last until then.

The benefit centre have sent a letter asking work why I left too, but I'm not sure if they'll tell them the truth about how the residents are and I can't talk to my work about it either.

I am nearly 22 years old and really enjoy working. I just wanted help from the government to find a more suitable job while I'm pregnant such as retail or waitressing etc. But they treat me as though I'm another job seeker who doesn't want to work. I'm so upset, I'm trying not to get too stressed about it either. Any advice would help so much, thank you for reading :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 24, 2015, 05:23 PM
    The issue is how you left work. It is too late now, but you needed to have a doctor restrict your work. So that the business would have had to put you in a office or doing work away from patients. Or at their option, put you on a medical leave.

Since, and I understand why, you chose to leave work on your own, it restricts some things. You will need to work with the social services, get help from family. Where is the babies father and why is he not doing more to help ?
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Jun 25, 2015, 07:02 AM
    I would have honestly applied internally for a different position where you're working. My knowledge of the laws of the empire is rather thin but I think they're required to help you if you become pregnant. Done is done.

My questions are the same as Chuck's. Where's the father? What are your standards for the new job? Do you have any old friends/bosses/family you can ask for help in getting a job or helping you out? IE support network?

Goodluck.
    AdvicePlease6 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2015, 07:10 AM
    Thanks for the reply.

I am due to hand my official notice in tomorrow at work. The job centre have sent work a letter about why I left and they are going to fill it in after I hand my notice in tomorrow. Am I best to go to the doctors first and speak to them about it then? I'm not sure what I should say as I'm fairly new to all of this.

Also, my partner and I live apart and he works on minimum wage. He does give me money when he can but doesn't have much for himself so I need my own money for myself really. I'm mostly worried about my baby's health with the stress it is causing me. Our families won't help either.

At the place I worked at, they're short staffed so I was told I either come in to do full work or I didn't come in at all and they would get someone else in. I also weren't allowed to assist anyone if they were heavy. So doing another job within the place wasn't an option. Maternity leave isn't an option either as I haven't worked there long enough and I am still on probationary period so they could finish me because I can't physically do anything and I thought it was best to leave myself before that happened because that would have been worse for future references etc.

Thank you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Needing advice about a relationship [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been together for three years. There is a ten year difference. I am twenty two and he is thirty three. We still live with my mom. I have been wanting to move out the entire time we have been together. We always talk about it but nothing happens. I have began storing...

Needing advice in MN [ 0 Answers ]

In Minnesota I got my first DWI in Jan 29, 2012 (misdemenor). In court the judge put me on 2 year's probation, fines to be paid, and a chemical assessment evaluation. But, he didn't say anything about staying sober. I did go to the chemical evaluation appointment, and the lady says that they...

Needing advice please [ 10 Answers ]

Where do I start.. my boyfriend has an addiction, he got 4 preindictment for selling to an undercover.. but in all truth he was never even selling.. they knew that he knew where to get the drug from so they asked him if he knew where to get it from and he said yes got in there car and took them to...

We just broke up... needing advice [ 9 Answers ]

Hello everyone - I'm new here and I hope you will help me to find my a solution. The thing is - that me and my girlfriend broke up 3 weeks ago, we were together for 6 months. Neither of us were being dumped, it was just a mutual agreement. Since that day - I have realized that I love this...

Needing help // advice. [ 9 Answers ]

So.. Im 18 now, male.. and wanting to have a more serios meaningful relationship. Problem? I've been single for a couple years now and seem to be deemed permanently single :| I'm just having no luck at all. I'm one of the few who's not just in it for a one night thing, and actually like getting...

View more questions Search