Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HANK Posts: 98, Reputation: 5

Mar 2, 2005, 01:17 PM
    Birth Control:
    What is God's will regarding the use of birth control?

HANK :)
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

Mar 3, 2005, 04:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HANK
    What is God's will regarding the use of birth control?

HANK :)
    This is a somewhat controversial question. And in spite of the claims some make the Bible does not give a difinitive answer. Because in those times birth control did not exist. My suggestion would be to pray seriously and seek God's guidance. When he gives you peace about it you will have the best answer you can get. Regardless of what it might be. It may not even be the same as mine(intentionally not given.) But since I can't give you a biblical proof for my position, I can only say to seek God's will for what he wants you to do.
    Best wishes,
    Walt
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2005, 04:37 PM
    I guess that depends which God you worship.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2005, 07:59 AM
    God's Will
    Hi,
    Prayer is the most powerful force in the Universe.
    Pray for direction, to "God as you understand him/her", and you will find your answer to birth control as God's will.
    Some spiritual followers believe in it, others don't.
    It all depends on your own Spiritual beliefs.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    keenu Posts: 114, Reputation: 9

Mar 5, 2005, 02:46 PM
    birth control
    Birth control is entirely up to the mother, no ifs ands or buts.
    It is not sinful, it is not wrong, and some imaginary god has nothing to do with it. Don't forget: morals, guilt, right and wrong, sin and good... these
    are all judgements made by men because they think it's the right thing at the time.
    earthpages Posts: 44, Reputation: 6

Jul 6, 2005, 06:29 PM
    Ethics
    One way to look at the problem is in terms of situational vs. absolute ethics. The human being is an evolving creature. So what might seem right at, say, 15 yrs. Might seem wrong to the very same person at, say, 55 yrs. Now, how God views these things when someone is at age 15 or 55 yrs. I don't think we can say. But even if it is wrong at any age, we must remember that God is a loving and merciful God.
    drali77 Posts: 127, Reputation: 5

Jul 12, 2005, 10:18 AM
    I think it is against the laws of nature to do birth control.
    earthpages Posts: 44, Reputation: 6

Jul 18, 2005, 11:54 AM
    Laws of Nature
    Well, I'd say that men and women are also spiritual beings with a great deal of freedom to choose, so it might be more appropriate to view this in terms of an ethical, rather than as a natural vs. unnatural issue.

With regard to the laws of nature, are these scientific laws? Do some scientific laws change over time? Are some scientific laws at least partially dependent on the way we look at the world?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2005, 08:17 AM
    Birth Control
    Hi,
    "Against the laws of Nature to use birth control"?
    Is it against the laws of Nature to starve to death?
    Some countries have many, many people with no food...
    Birth control could possibly help them to keep from multiplying like rabbits!
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    bucker Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2005, 03:02 AM
    Birth controle
    I believe in birth control, also abortion, one second before conception
    dimples Posts: 256, Reputation: 9

Sep 9, 2005, 03:55 AM
    I think birth control depends on the parents. If you are not ready then do not bring forth children into this world because they will just suffer.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2005, 07:18 PM
    I don't believe that the mere use of contraception, with the possible exception of IUDs, in and of itself is contrary to God's law. Abortion, however, is not contraception ; it is a surgical procedure performed after the fact. Keep in mind that very rarely is any form of birth control totally guaranteed and fail-proof. Ever hear of a "miracle baby" ; you know, when mom says "I used a diaphragm and he used a condom but I still got pregnant?" I've even heard stories of women who've had tubal ligations getting pregnant and having babies, when the fallopian tubes that had been cut and tied fused themselves back together again. Although such occurrences are rare they do happen. Remember, God has a sense of humor and you don't necessarily want to be the butt of one of his jokes.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2005, 07:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by keenu
    Birth control is entirely up to the mother, no ifs ands or buts.
    Doesn't the father have any rights at all? After all, if he's the one who has to pay financial support and is expected to take an equal 50-50 role in raising the child then he should have a say in things as well.
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Sep 14, 2005, 04:45 PM
    Birth control
    By 'birth control' do you mean 'contraception prevention.'? One biblical reference to this is the case of Onan.

Genesis 38:9
    9 And Onan knew that the seed should not be his; and it came to pass, when he went in unto his brother's wife, that he spilled[it on the ground, lest that he should give seed to his brother.

Genesis 38:10
    10 And the thing which he did displeased the LORD: wherefore he slew him also.

Coitus interruptus had a heavy price tag.

MORGANITE
    bucker Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2005, 09:45 PM
    Two different things
    This was a different thing all together. He was not killed for spilling it on the ground. It was totally, and wholly because of disobedience.

Sep 15, 2005, 08:28 AM
    Birth prevention angers the Lord - Onan pays the price
    Quote Originally Posted by bucker
    This was a different thing all together. He was not killed for spilling it on the ground. It was totally, and wholly because of disobedience.

Read the text: "Tthe thing which he did displeased the LORD".

It was not the thing he did not do. He practised birth prevention when he should have impregnated his sister-in-law.

Forgive the emphasis, but it matters that you let the text speak for itself.

MORGANITE

:)
    kelml Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2005, 09:18 AM
    Biblical Principle on Birth Control
    This is taken from the following URL: http://www.gotquestions.org/birth-control.html. Hope it helps. It is a lengthy respone.

Question: "What does the Bible say about birth control? Should Christians use birth control?”

Answer: Man was commissioned by God "to be fruitful and multiply" (Genesis 1:28) and marriage was instituted by God as a stable environment to have and rear children. In our society, children are often considered a nuisance and a burden. They stand in the way of people's career paths, financial goals, and they “crimp your style” socially. Often selfishness is at the root of contraceptive use.

Genesis 38 tells of Judah's sons, Er and Onan. Er married a woman named Tamar, but he was wicked and the Lord killed him, leaving Tamar with no husband or children. Tamar was given in marriage to Er's brother, Onan, in accordance with the law of levirate marriage in Deuteronomy 25:5-6. Onan did not want to split his inheritance with any child that he might sire on Tamar on his brother's behalf, so he practiced the oldest form of birth control. Genesis 38:10 says "What he did was wicked in the Lord's sight ; so He put him to death also." Onan's motivation was selfish: he used Tamar for his own pleasure, but refused to perform his “brotherly” duty of creating an heir for his deceased brother. It was not the act of contraception that caused the Lord to put Onan to death, but rather Onan’s selfish motives behind the action. Here are some verses that describe children from God's perspective:

A gift from God: Genesis 4:1, Genesis 33:5

A heritage from the Lord: Psalm 127:3-5

A blessing from God: Luke 1:42

A crown to the aged: Proverbs 17:6

God blesses barren women with children: Psalm 113:9, Genesis 21:1-3, 25:21-22, and 30:1-2, 1 Samuel 1:6-8, Luke 1:7, 24-25

God forms children in the womb: Psalm 139:13-16

God knows children before birth: Jeremiah 1:5, Galatians 1:15

It is important to view children as God sees them, not as the world tells us we should. Having said that, the Bible does not forbid contraception. Contraception, by it's definition, is the merely opposite of conception. It is not the act of contraception itself that determines whether it is wrong or right. As we learned from Onan, it is the motivation behind the contraception that determines if it is right or wrong. If a person is practicing contraception because they will have more for themselves, then it is wrong. If a person is practicing contraception in order to temporarily delay children until they are more mature and more financially and spiritually prepared, then it is acceptable to use contraception for a time. Again, it all comes back to your motivation.

Recommended Resource: Birth Control for Christians: Making Wise Choices by Jenell Paris.

Sep 15, 2005, 10:50 AM
    Birth prevention - good or bad?
    Kelml posts: This is taken from the following URL: http://www.gotquestions.org/birth-control.html. Hope it helps. It is a lengthy respone.

Question: "What does the Bible say about birth control? Should Christians use birth control?”

Answer: Man was commissioned by God "to be fruitful and multiply" (Genesis 1:28) and marriage was instituted by God as a stable environment to have and rear children. In our society, children are often considered a nuisance and a burden. They stand in the way of people's career paths, financial goals, and they “camp your style” socially. Often selfishness is at the root of contraceptive use.

<snip>

[QUOTE]

Thank you for an interesting contribution.

MORGANITE
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Oct 26, 2005, 09:04 PM
    Every person has the right to their own beliefs about contraception. However, women have every right to control their own body and to make their own decisions about birth control, sex and when to have a child.

Oct 27, 2005, 09:00 AM
    Birth Control
    Quote Originally Posted by PrettynPetite1
    Every person has the right to their own beliefs about contraception. However, women have every right to control their own body and to make their own decisions about birth control, sex and when to have a child.

I appreciate your answer, but you left someone out.

What about the little life inside the woman? Does he or she have any rights at all? Usually, this person is th eonly one who has absolutely no say in the whole matter.

It did not volunteer to be born, and, if aborted, it would have no say in that either. What say you?

The woman who is considering having an abortion was once a foetus. When did her 'rights' begin? In the womb? On reaching her legal majority?

What was, under your scheme, denied to her once, now becomes a right. A right that she denies to the life she carries in her womb.

I'd appreciate further explanation.

MORGANITE

:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I messed up my birth control [ 1 Answers ]

Hello there. I am a new member and I am only 19 years old. I am a little worried because I messed up taking my birth control. Instead of forgetting the "active" pills, I took too many. I forgot to start taking the "inactive" pills which was when I would have had my period and I started taking...

Bleeding during birth control [ 4 Answers ]

I have a question regarding bleeding during birth control. I have been on the pill for over 7 years for endometriosis. I have always had regular periods while on the pill and have always been on the same kind, never switching brands. Right now I have about half done my pack of pills and a I...

Birth Control [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering if you have been taking birth control for a really long time and you think you might be pregnant. Could the birth control screw up the results?

Men's Birth Control [ 0 Answers ]

Hi I wonder if someone can answer my question about Men's Birth Control, as far as I heard, now adays there are ways other than use of contraceptive techniques I mean by surgery, so how true is that? Thanks in advance

View more questions Search