Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tx-g Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2007, 08:31 PM
    XP & Visual Studio 6.0
    Could someone please help me. I have an old version of "Visual Studio 6.0 Pro Edition" I got from a friend who never used it. Originally this software was designed to work with Windows95 or later, or WindowsNT 4.0 or later. I have been on the net searching to see if it is compatible with XP. One thing I found on microsoft.com was to download "Service Pack 6" wihich was published in 2004. Is this the latest service pack & if so, will I also need to install the service pack that came with the kit? And, which instructions should I follow for installation?

I appreciate any advice/suggestions. :)

Thanks,

Tx
    c_starrs Posts: 64, Reputation: 5

Apr 11, 2007, 04:35 PM
    The most quick way to make it comptible with XP is to Make a shortcut (if not already there) to Visual Studios ->Right Click->Click Properties->Click the Compatibility Tab->Tick "Run this program in compatibility for:-> then select Windows 95->Click OK.

Apr 11, 2007, 04:50 PM
    Thanks, C.

I installed service pack 6 which was recommended & tried to run the setup.exe file (I did this before I checked for answers here). I get a message stating "visual studio 6 pro service pack 6 was not completed successfully". Do I need to delete the extracted files, then run them again with windows95 compatibility selected? What do I do?

Thanks again
    Quote Originally Posted by c_starrs
    The quickest way to make it comptible with XP is to Make a shortcut (if not already there) to Visual Studios ->Right Click->Click Properties->Click the Compatability Tab->Tick "Run this program in compatability for:-> then select Windows 95->Click OK.

Apr 11, 2007, 04:54 PM
    You could try running the extracted files through compatibility,yeah, it shold work, I think it's the same procedure as it being a shortcut as a .exe. Or if that doesn't work, you can ditch the whole service update and run the current visual studios using compatibility :) It's your choice. Btw... do you mind rating my answer :) :P

Apr 11, 2007, 05:14 PM
    What do you mean by running the current visual studio? Do u mean to install the software using the same steps as windows xp and service pack 5? And yes, I will rate your answer.

You could try running the extracted files through compatability,yeh, it shold work, i think it's the same procedure as it being a shortcut as a .exe. Or if that doesn't work, you can ditch the whole service update and run the current visual studios using compatability :) It's your choice. Btw...do you mind rating my answer :) :P

Apr 11, 2007, 05:18 PM
    Well, I thought you had "Visual Studio 6.0 Pro Edition" installed on your computer, if you want, you should be able just to use the compatibility settings on that to run it. Or do you have the installer for "Visual Studio 6.0 Pro Edition"? And it's not letting you install, if that is the case, then use the compatibility settings on the main " Setup.exe " of "Visual Studio 6.0 Pro Edition". Please give greater detail.

Apr 11, 2007, 06:05 PM
    C,

It is stated in the beginning of my question. I got the software from a friend. It has never been used. I never had any version of visual studio installed on my computer. I searched the net to see if visual studio 6.0 is compatible with XP since it was originally used for windows 95 or later, NT 4.0 or later, and 2000. On microsoft.com, it states that Service Pack 6 needed to be installed for updates & fixes before installing visual studio. Therefore, I downloaded the service pack, tried to run Setup.exe, but it didn't work. Not with 95 nor 2000. So if I delete the folder I saved the downloads in, I should be able to install following the instructions for windows 2000?

Again, thanks. :)

Well, i thought you had "Visual Studio 6.0 Pro Edition" installed on your computer, if you want, you should be able just to use the compatability settings on that to run it. Or do you have the installer for "Visual Studio 6.0 Pro Edition"?? And it's not letting you install, if that is the case, then use the compatability settings on the main " Setup.exe " of "Visual Studio 6.0 Pro Edition". Please give greater detail.

Apr 12, 2007, 01:28 AM
    Right, I get it now, but, if I'm picking this upright, then that Service pack isn't for Visual Studios, it's for Win 2000/NT or 98, but as you have XP installed, you already have they fixes installed on your computer and should not need to uninstall them. So completely forget about the service pack as it's not for you. But if it Now for the software. Presuming it's on a disk then open the disk in My Computer and run the "setup.exe" on the disk in compatibility for NT/2000. If I am further misinterpreting what you say, them pm me, and I will give you my MSN for a live discussion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need Pinnacle Studio 9 Help [ 13 Answers ]

Hello, This is for anyone who uses Pinnacle Studio 9 or has any other useful suggestions... I use Pinnacle Studio 9 for editing video, the problem is, whenever I make a video (finish editing and click "Make Movie") nearly every time the video and audio sync is all screwed up, they don't...

Pinnacle Studio 9 [ 4 Answers ]

Once the movie has rendered and compiled the process seems to stop. There is a prompt telling me that I need to insert an empty disc. Any suggestions as to how I can get my movie to burn would be great!

3d studio for Mac [ 0 Answers ]

Hello, My name is Edgar. I need "3d studio Max" for Macintosh and I don't know how I can get it. :'( Nowadays, I'm downloading it by E-mule with my PC but I don't know if will work in my Macintosh.? Could you help me. Many Thank's!! ;)

View more questions Search