Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2015, 10:00 AM
    Mortgage Payment Paperless
    The person pays his mortgage on-line and requested the mortgage company do not mail him a statement. Because mailboxes are being tampered with and identities stolen in his neighbourhood . But the mortgage company said they have to mail him the statement regardless of his request. Do you think it would help him down the road, if he put them on notice of the potential thief from his mailbox
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2015, 01:33 PM
    Why not get an online reply? I get them for all the online payments I make.
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2015, 03:42 PM
    They do not reply online. I don't know why
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 11, 2015, 03:57 PM
    Can he get a PO Box to receive his mail?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 11, 2015, 05:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pastor1189 View Post
    The person pays his mortgage on-line and requested the mortgage company do not mail him a statement. Because mailboxes are being tampered with and identities stolen in his neighbourhood . But the mortgage company said they have to mail him the statement regardless of his request. Do you think it would help him down the road, if he put them on notice of the potential thief from his mailbox
    This is bull pastor. I pay on line and because of that have a running statement on line.

As suggested, tell him to get a post office box.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 11, 2015, 06:11 PM
    For the cost of a PO Box you could get,

Compare identity theft protection reviews and prices at NextAdvisor.com
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2015, 06:57 PM
    How does he make the payment, it must come from somewhere, a bank account? And then there is a paper trail.
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2015, 03:18 AM
    He uses his bill payer feature from his credit union to pay his mortgage
    The company is called owen.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 12, 2015, 05:33 AM
    One would assume then he can track his transactions through his online credit union account, even if he cannot through the mortgage company. If his concern is a secure place to get his mail though then a PO Box, is his next best option for ALL his mail.

He should be aware also that his garbage is just as vulnerable as his mailbox, if not MORE SO, for identity thieves, and take the proper steps such as shredding, to make sure no important information is useable when he throws it out. That protects you from the lower level of identity thieves, but some are a lot more sophisticated than that.

Unfortunately if the institutions you deal with are not as vigilant as they should be, as is the case here, greater care has to be taken to protect ones self.
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2015, 06:51 AM
    Another problem mortgage company doesn't send statements to PO boxes
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 12, 2015, 06:58 AM
    Bottom line here is the mortgage servicer is required to provide him with a monthly statement. This is a requirement in most states as far as I am aware. That statement can be provide online, either via e-mail or a site that can be logged into.

It is certainly possible, that the servicer is behind the times and doesn't have the facilities to provide electronic statements. In which case it must mail a statement. That statements should have no identifying info that would help a thief. Other than name, address, account number and payment info. If the statement included such things as DOB and SSN the servicer could be liable.
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2015, 08:02 AM
    I think you are correct scott. The SSN and the DOB are absent on the statement.
    Your comment is most reassuring and now he can have some peace of mind

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Payment Plan Mortgage payment behind [ 3 Answers ]

I was recently off work for two months and unable to pay my mortgage payments. My company put me on a payment plan and now they are charging me with other fees that were not told to me. I want to know how can I find out if their practices are legal. Who is the watchdog for these companies. I am...

Refusal to accept mortgage payment, does it void the mortgage? [ 6 Answers ]

I'm in a bit of a pickle. I live in Ohio and have a mortgage on a home that I inherited. About two years ago I learned I would be losing my job, I contacted the mortgage bank and explained my situation in an attempt to get the mortgage adjusted to something I could afford to maintian. I was told I...

Is it best to pay off a mortgage or get a tax break on the mortgage interest payment? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 4.75% mortgage rate. Would it be best just to pay off the loan?

Mortgage payment.Mortgage told me one thing amount and then it was another. [ 1 Answers ]

Okay. I had a mortgage loan modification. Had an agreement with my loan company to make a paymnet of about five thousand dollars.Then I received a letter that instead of the five thousand that covered the months of October and November it was two thousand dollars and one of about two hundred and...

Mortgage Payment [ 3 Answers ]

My husband is the borrower and I am the co-borrower on our mortgage. My husband died 9/11/06. I am now 3 months behind on payment (had to pay for funeral). I no longer qualify for my husband's SS money, because my SS is higher. I can pay the mortgage myself if the bank would just put the 3 payments...

View more questions Search