Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ripka82 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2015, 08:25 PM
    When do we have to move out?
    When do I legally have to move out? We were asked to move out of our apt do to unclean condition. But the person who asked us to move out is the landlords mother who lives in the building. She is not listed on the lease or any other paperwork as a landlord. There was nothing posted on the door or nothing mailed to us she simply said we had to move and we had 30 days she also had us sign a paper which she had signed not the landlord to be honest I have never met my landlord. We have been living in the apt since 10/23/2014 and were promised a bigger apartment in feb by the same lady and we are still in a small apt.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 8, 2015, 08:48 PM
    It is obvious, that she is acting on behalf, perhaps in the capacity of a manager. You have accepted this, since you previously talked to her about larger apartment, and agreed to talk to her and sign a paper about moving out.

The issue to this, is in the lease, it appears they are saying you are in violation of the lease (broke one or more of the rules) in this case your apartment sanitation is so poor that you have created an unsafe environment. At least this is what I am getting from what you wrote.

Does your lease require they give you a warning and time to clean ? Is your apartment really that bad?

You can dispute the facts and make them do the eviction though court. Or you can move in 30 days. If they go to court and win, it will be hard to get future rental, because an eviction will be on your record.
    GorgeousGrandma Posts: 29, Reputation: 5

Jun 8, 2015, 09:15 PM
    Yes I would fight it if you do not wish to move out. However if the lady has good reasons to ask you to move she could as stated above take you to court and you don't want that! How do you not know the landlord have you always dealt with the mother?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 9, 2015, 03:24 AM
    Your question can't really be answered without knowing
    What state, if the US
    What the terms of your lease are, if any
    What you signed recently

In general, a landlord or landlord representative has to follow the laws for eviction of your state. In extreme cases of 'uncleanliness,' the health and fire department can declare the apartment a hazard immediately. But what did you SIGN?

The promise of a bigger apt isn't relevant.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 9, 2015, 05:36 AM
    I agree with Joy, we need more info before we can tell you whether to fight or not or when you have to move.

1) We were asked to move out of our apt do to unclean condition.
    Who created this condition? Where any warnings given?

2) landlords mother who lives in the building.
    This make it probable she is representing the landlord.

3) she also had us sign a paper
    What did this paper say? This is a key point which you neglected to tell us. If this paper was acknowledging the violation and/or that you were notified to vacate, then you have 30 days.

4) We have been living in the apt since 10/23/2014
    Normally a lease is for 12 months. This would suggest you are still under the lease, so they would need a breach of the lease to terminate it early.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I allowed a family member move there mobile home my land now they won't move [ 4 Answers ]

Me & my 3 brothers own land to help a family member out I allowed them to move their trailer on it, After 9.5 years I ask them to start paying rent or leave they refuse to do either.

2000 ford windstar will not move shift gears but won't move [ 1 Answers ]

Checked trans filud good checked cable good still won't move.

I was asked verbally to move so a relative could move in. Relocation fees? [ 3 Answers ]

The next month after my landlady was upset and was rude to me because I did not pay the rent 3 days early, I dropped off my rent and was told to move in 30 days so a relative could move in. Since I had paid last month's rent (is that legal or should it be security?) he told me I could have 60 days....

My 1993 Mazda MVP will not move even in neutral shifter on column will move [ 0 Answers ]

The shifter on column will move but the car/van will not go into gear. Put car in neutral will not roll. Any ideas on what the problem may be?

View more questions Search