Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    samrent Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2007, 06:54 PM
    Rent increase percentage cap for New jersey year to year
    Hi,

I am signing a lease for another year with my landlord but he wants to increase the rent 15% for the new year. Is there a cap on the increase for raising rent. This is for a house, not an apartment. Thanks!
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Apr 10, 2007, 06:58 PM
    It depends on where in NJ you live. I believe that some cities have rent control ordinances. The only way to find out is to call the clerk of your town and ask if there is any rent control ordinance in effect.

If the clerk tells you that there is no rent control in your town then the landlord can increase the rent as much as he wants.

Apr 10, 2007, 07:18 PM
    I live in South Orange, New Jersey. You probably don't know if they do for S.O. but if you do, let me know. I will call the clerk though. Thank you.

The other part of it is that I asked via email what the rent increase would be back in February. They emailed me back saying 5%. We are supposed to sign the new lease this week and when I emailed her with a time she emailed saying they wanted to increase it 15%. Is there any law about written word? I know there is oral word. Thanks.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Apr 10, 2007, 07:24 PM
    I don't think S.O. has rent control for houses but it can't hurt to ask the clerk.

As for the email you may have a case for holding her to the 5% but that would only be effective for one month. If you don't sign a new lease then you become a month-to-month tenant and they can change the terms every month and even give you 30 days notice to leave. You could claim that you relied on her promise of 5% and that's why you didn't look for a new place. But then a court would only give you 30 days of the 5% increase which would allow you enough time to find a new place. They wouldn't imply one full year at 5% increase.

Apr 10, 2007, 07:40 PM
    Thanks for your help!
    boopbill Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2010, 03:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by samrent View Post
    Hi,

I am signing a lease for another year with my landlord but he wants to increase the rent 15% for the new year. Is there a cap on the increase for raising rent. This is for a house, not an apartment. Thanks!
    No they can only raise your rent 2.3% a year that's it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it legal for a 25 year old and a 16 year old to date in pa [ 59 Answers ]

:confused:is it legal for a 25 year old and a 16 year old to date in pa and if not why

6-year Indian Student, 1040EZ but claiming social security taxes from 5th year. [ 3 Answers ]

I've been in the States since 2001 (F-1 undergrad, then 1 year of F-1 OPT, and now with a new F-1 for grad school), 6 years so far and all at the same university in NYC. This will be my first year filing the 1040EZ, and I have a few Q's... Four questions: * Is the 1040EZ form the...

I have a 2 year old daughter and her father has not seen her in over a year. [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old daughter and her father left me when she was 5 months old and the last time he saw her was 2 weeks before Christmas 2006, he and I were never married. He knows where she is and how to get ahold of me and see her, but has failed in trying to contact me or see her. I do not have a...

Rent increase in the state of New Jersey [ 2 Answers ]

I have been renting a single family home in ocean countny for 4 years every year the landlord reaises the rent 25 dollars. This year with 6 days notice he raised it 200.00 I had no choice but to sign the new lease or vacate. Is this leagl in the state of New Jersey. And if not what can I do about...

Full-year for Federal, Part-year for State ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an alien and comply with the qualification for full-year tax resident for Federal, but not with my state's where I should be considered as a part-year tax resident. Is it a problem if my status are different for federal and state, or does my federal status "overwrite" my state status...

View more questions Search